In regards to e-stalking and those who worry about such

A place to discuss anything you wish, within reason of course.

In regards to e-stalking and those who worry about such

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:20 am

If you worry about being stalked online, don't make it easy for people to do such. You kind of lose the ability to utilize legal action against them in such a case... Because you thus have freely omitted your information to, quite literally, the entire world. Even with that part aside, it's still a fool's move to do such. You only make it easy for people to stalk you then.

As for me, I could care less if someone wanted to stalk me. Online, it's pretty much as simple as blocking the user. It's when it starts to go from online to offline that makes the difference.

The only time I have cared about if people stalked me online or not is when I made an account at an "adult" content oriented site. There, I used a different username. Originally, I didn't, but that account has since been banned and it seems most users have no clue that that was my old account. Now, if anyone wanted to find me, the search would pull up results of stuff relating to Gundam.

Anyways, as for those who worry about such from any site they visit, yeah. Don't use the same username everywhere you go, or at least use a common one so that people can't pick you specifically out amongst the rest. (Note how "Shade" is actually a very common online name. I do have variations, but, yeah.)

The reason I bring this up is the person who that Google search is for has a post on a forum about how she was e-stalked and harassed online because of it. She seems unaware that, because she uses the same name online everywhere she goes, she is very easy to find. (Which also makes it easy for trolls - such as me - to find this information and further dredge up old, painful memories.)

So, yeah. If you care about being e-stalked and/or are not the kind who will gladly use the block option without enough provocation, then do not make it easy for people to find you... You also basically forfeit any rights to complain about such by allowing it to be so easy. (You can still complain. Most people still complain, even when they are actually more at fault for their current situation than anyone else is. It just makes no one really care about your complaints.)

On the internet, the fact that the law can ACTUALLY "harm"/reach people is not very well known. Most people won't take action due to various reasons. (The most common are fear, laziness and the common thought that the law will do nothing.) There is even a story that was once talked about on a local radio station where I live, yet I can not find anything about it online. It is about a group of college girls who were being bad mouthed on a forum. They went and launched a lawsuit against the people, who were, if I recall correctly, actually charged for what they had done. (Albeit under their online usernames [which many, of course, were vulgar things and would sound funny said in a serious tone such as that of a judge], but the fact remains.)

If you ARE being e-stalked/harassed online, you CAN launch legal action against the person, no matter where in the world they live. Their Government would most likely sooner cooperate in order to avoid an international incident, than to allow such to continue. By law, companies are required to keep logs of all information which passes through their servers. All the "privacy agreement" basically means is that they are legally storing all the data. Nothing is truly private online. The information will only be accessed, though, if it is needed for legal reasons. This is in order to protect your rights to privacy and such. (Yes, to protect your rights to privacy, you essentially have to give it up.)

The best example of the law reaching online is in the case of pedophiles. Many people would state that it is the severity of that crime which makes the law act on such, but any form of harassment is a violation and totally able to be pursued legally. What you can NOT do, however, is react - the same as offline. If you want to ensure that logs of the situation are readily available, then make your own. It would also make them take you more seriously, and also no doubt make any legal action taken against such go faster.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:35 am

On Shade being a common username: Yeah, there was an annoying "Bayformers sux!" guy on the Allspark in 07 who was using a very similar name ("Shade X," I think.) at one point.

The closest brush I had with stalking was when my sister's ex-boyfriend whom she dumped in 1982 (And who proceeded to follow her across the country, before my dad threatened to get a restraining order) sent me a message on Facebook, asking if I was THAT Nate Henke, brother to Andrea Henke. Brrr--fortunately, I have everything on Facebook on private mode (You can't see it unless I say so), so he didn't learn squat, and of course, I didn't respond to him. Still...dude, get over it already, I wanted to say to him!
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:30 am

Jeeze... That was recent? Cause, if so, that's over 20 years. O_o::;: That guy *really* needs to get a life. :glanceright::;:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Yeah, it was about two months ago. I was much happier when I heard from my kindergarten teacher, and got in touch with my high school friends, than being messaged by that guy. Even as a kid, I hated him. I remember declaring, "Chris wants to go home, right now!" when I was about...well, 3, I think! (I was very vocal as a child.)
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:21 am

Heh... All I can imagine is a miniature Nate being all ticked and huffy, looking *so* adorable in doing so. :laughing:

Ahh, gnomes... Sometimes they can provide fun. But they still scare me. Those children aged 6 and under... Mischievous, little things. Damn gnomes... ;x:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Return to The Public Forum