Skids and his almighty job hunt!

A place to discuss anything you wish, within reason of course.

Skids and his almighty job hunt!

Postby Skids » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:26 pm

Well, it turns out they toughened up the Prelim Adult School teaching credential requirements; now you have to have had FIVE years of work experience or schooling in the subject you want to teach in, before you can even get a preliminary credential. Sadly, I've had about a year in full-on English Lit mode running up to getting my degree in Fall 07. Similarly, although I will have a second college degree by this coming summer, this program also took me just about a year's time. Thus, I'm screwed as far as teaching being an option, since there's no way I can go to school for more than another semester, and wouldn't want to devote all that time to something that was a "Getting started/fallback" job option, anyhow. It's not as if I want to teach as a career; it was just in its earlier, easier to obtain form a credential I could bring quickly to use in finding work. Plus, it was a delaying tactic of sorts; I really want to write and edit, but it's better to tell people who might be bugging you, "Look, I can get a certificate that lets me do this other job pretty quickly out of college!"

Have to say I'm more than a little relieved, though. Sure, I'm facing a little more job insecurity now than I would have if I had been able to get a credential, but I had my doubts about teaching, and maybe now I can actually start hitting the school career center and looking for work in something I actually specialize in. Heaven knows I have strong enough academic qualifications already, to boot.

Just have to keep a level head and stay on top of the job search. I'm the kind of guy who'd go nuts if he didn't have a regular job to go to, or at least something to work on every week.
Last edited by Skids on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Transypoo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Mm-hum mm-hum... I think I know what... what? What was that? Did you see it? Look! EETS A MOUSE! I'm GUNNA KEEL EET! Wha? No, no, I wasn't going to kill you! NO! What? NO! Stop looking at me! STOP!!! WHY!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!! MY BRAIN!!! STOP EATING MY BRAIN!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGG BUGS EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!!!!

They like when I cover the walls in jam.

Can I have some of your blood for my collection?
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:05 am

Well... This sounds a bit like both of an upper AND a downer. :3 Best of luck to ya, Nate. ^^ Though I'm pretty sure you don't even need it! ^.^
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Beastbot » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:32 pm

I'm the kind of guy who'd go nuts if he didn't have a regular job to go to, or at least something to work on every week.

You, sir, are the exact opposite of me.

I had a year-and-a-half after I completed high school before I started college, since we were knew we were moving less than a year after I graduated, so there wasn't any point in going to college for just a year and then having to switch to an entirely new program in a different state halfway across the country, and I didn't get a job either during that time.

BEST. 18. MONTHS. OF. MY. LIFE.
Last updated October 4th
Current Transformers Total: 4,365
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Beastbot wrote:
I'm the kind of guy who'd go nuts if he didn't have a regular job to go to, or at least something to work on every week.

You, sir, are the exact opposite of me.

I had a year-and-a-half after I completed high school before I started college, since we were knew we were moving less than a year after I graduated, so there wasn't any point in going to college for just a year and then having to switch to an entirely new program in a different state halfway across the country, and I didn't get a job either during that time.

BEST. 18. MONTHS. OF. MY. LIFE.

From what I've heard, that's not really that good of a thing... You lose some stuff in the time off, from what I heard. Makes me glad I did college type stuff while in High School... Got that out of the way. ^^
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Semi-update: I might be up for some scholarship money for academic excellence (Graduated in the top 7 % of my college class (07), so I'm going to look into that. Moreover, I've decided to stay in school at least through January instead of getting out this August. I could have taken sort of an "allowed short cut" to finish earlier, but I figure, the signs show the U.S. economy's headed into a potential downturn, meaning jobs are going to be tougher to find, so I might as well do the whole nine yards. (The "shortcut" was only going to let me skip two classes, anyway; I'll just go ahead and take them. Honestly, I look for excuses to take history courses anyway, I love the subject so much.)

This'll buy me some more time to work with the school to find job options; maybe if there's a good scholarship program, I'll study something else for awhile before I well and truly leave, too. (Of course, I'm beginning to realize, I'm never going to completely leave school... ^ ^0)

I mean, if someone's willing to give me money to help go to school, I'm not gonna turn 'em down when I don't exactly have a better option right now. Plus, luckily I'm not about to get thrown out of the house onto my ass, so I could concentrate on school awhile longer if I wanted.

What would be nice would be to get some TA work; collect on some of my past "good student" connections with teachers. That's partially why I'm going to cooperate with the career center.

I DO have a possible job option, though like I said, it's only a possibility now. Still something to look in to...

So, crisis (?) averted! He's going to stay in school about as long as he originally planned, just not pursue the "Too much work for too little return" teaching program.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Well, that's nice to hear things are going well and all. :3
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Well, well, a friend just pointed me in the direction of an excellent potential job opportunity with flexible hours and good pay at her place of business. More info as this develops!
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Sweet. :smilekitty:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:39 am

Hmm. The job thing's kind of in limbo, now. Not totally beyond possibility, but they're not urgently looking to hire, after all, either, apparently. Oh well, I have my hands full with school, and everything else is going great, so...no biggie. ^ ^ And hey, a possibility still exists re: the job (And knowing someone in the company who's been keeping me informed and helping out aids massively.).

In any case, now I know there are job opportunities out there for me that pay more than minimum wage, so I feel more motivated to start using the career center at my university and poking around...!
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:02 am

I iterate: Sweet. :smilekitty:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:15 pm

*poke poke... poke* Oo?
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Might as well update for year: got my graduation application signed, three classes left, should be graduating in January, and looking for a job (Actually, ought to start looking before that...eheh heh...) My study plan that I've been following for the History BA was just signed off on by my academic adviser, so I just need the department head's signature...which, as I remember from degree one, was largely a formality. In any case, the department head here is a nice lady, so that's good.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:40 pm

Woot woot! :smile:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:42 am

AND they sent me a letter that arrived today saying that graduation application I'd submitted in late August was preliminarily approved! ("Preliminary" means it'll be fully approved once I finish this current semester. Graduation is in late January.) :happy4:

So the end, yes, the FINAL end, this time, is coming!

Two degrees is enough...! ^ ^ Eesh, man, I'm so tired of school I'm getting tunnel vision for when I'm really actually done. This has been a busy semester, on top of it ("Helped" by the fact that I wanted to get every detail right!)
Skids

Next

Return to The Public Forum