The Gundam Topic!

General news about anything.

Postby Transypoo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Then you should have weapons built into you... who needs knives?
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:02 am

Magical Girl Lyrical Gundoha? Well, considering Nanoha's action scenes are more or less "Take a giant robot anime and replace the robots with little girls," it's a magical girl anime from the creators of Super Robot Wars, and Nanoha's HUGE Divine Buster beams give me Wing Zero flashbacks...yeah, I'd say these Gundams of Nanoha and Fate work REAL nice...

The human versions: http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8544 ... mahgw7.jpg
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:32 pm

Oh, those are gorgeous, Nate... And that black one gives me memories of the EW Deathscythe Hell.

Transypoo wrote:Then you should have weapons built into you... who needs knives?

Because it's fun to load up on more weapons than 1 needs. ;3 Especially when all your weapons are long range... Though I could leave a nice devastating scar in the ground~ c-c'
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Time Lord » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:20 am

So, Turn-A Gundam has turned up on a reputable Torrent download site (wink, wink! :smile: ). Shall I give it a try or shall I avoid it big time! (Heard nothing but bad things about it so far!).

Also, watched Gundam Wing's Japanese intro on YouTube, why the hell didn't we get this on our version?!? (instead of the narration).
Timey's YouTube page!

Timey's thought of the Day: Transypoo fixed my sig? And put words in my mouth? Scandalous!
Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby Transypoo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:25 am

I Blame Snake Eyes.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Time Lord » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:10 pm

I can see this becoming the new :cool: !

And speaking of mad deranged spammers, where's TFDoc and his evil twin lately? :confused:
Timey's YouTube page!

Timey's thought of the Day: Transypoo fixed my sig? And put words in my mouth? Scandalous!
Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby Skids » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Gundam Wing is very good in Japanese overall. I found it cool that Zechs, as you might expect, is played up a bit more like Char in the voice department in the Japanese version, but it still works with his "light/dark" dichotomy. Besides, he's not nearly the condescending bastard that Char is with his constant "Youth is a_____" "War is_____" and such pronouncements. I love Char...

And besides, in some of the more angry moments...man, Drummond was dead-on in capturing the tone of the Japanese actor.

Turn-A...that's one I have yet to see. Probably partially because it hasn't been released on R1 DVD. I have Zeta (A long, dark journey, but I thoroughly enjoyed it; these more recent movie versions sound interesting, though), Wing, Endless Waltz, 0080, 0083, 08th MS, Char's Counterattack and the Gundam Movie Trilogy on DVD. I quite like the Movie versions of the original series; it cut out the boring filler and the implausible ideas like "Let's launch and combine the Gundam in mid-air instead of keeping it intact inside the White Base!" and the G-Fighter. (That's the armor thing, right?) The Core Booster is much cooler...and more in keeping with the overall tone of the series, whereas the G-Fighter was gimmicky as all heck and showed how Gundam was trying to compete against the super robot shows of the day. And unlike some compilation movies, I found the editing to be very tight; I think the only time it wasn't was flashing back to something that never happened (Bright punching out Kai) but c'mon, we KNEW he had to have slugged Kai at least once. XD (The guy's irritating as all heck...but I will give him a pass for being voiced by the quite literally inimitable Toshio Furukawa).
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Turn A is good if you prefer a good, fleshed out story with more of a battle between upper and lower class citizens, than lots of flashy battles and such... Also: The main character dresses as a girl, even though he's a boy due to a mistake in the newspaper. Rofl anyone? X3

It's kind of the Gundam variant of Azumangah Daioh (spelling?), that Haruhi series and all... And is also heralded as the one that brought the entire UC era and all previous AU series together as 1 whole universe.

Conclusion: My recommendation is WATCH IT. And watch it with great joy. :3
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Time Lord » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:35 am

Thanks Shade! I'll watch the transvestite-in-a-robot (I'm used to seeing them in Anime (Buster Hydra in Masterforce, anyone?) :smile:
Timey's YouTube page!

Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:05 am

Yeah, but it's on purpose here and handled well imo. I also hope what you got is a sub. Not sure if there was ever a dub done... But I think a sub fits this one well - even with the white bread Aristocracy.

Also, to anyone who's seen enough of UC era to recognize certain things: Many of the Earth based MS in Turn A are very much basic "more advanced/alternate/final versions" of some UC era ones. I.e. the use of the Gogg in a sort of alternate form. (The younger girl who is a "master" to the main character ends up piloting one of these all the time.)

The series will also give new meaning to "Pong"... X3
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Time Lord » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:05 am

Just started watching Turn-A (Man, that thing took forever to seed!) and I see what you mean about the whole transvestite thing: if it wasn't for that nude scene in the river I could swear he was a she! (Nice hair band, Loran!) As well as people calling him "Laura" all the time. But as for storyline: pure win (and the opening episodes wouldn't be out of place in a Studio Ghibli movie).
Timey's YouTube page!

Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:42 am

Yeah. It's awesome... I don't get why anyone would not like it. I mean, other than if they were just after loads of action... If that's all they want, then they have no place to comment on Turn A.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Time Lord » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:32 am

Yeah, thanks for the recommendation, Shade. By the way, I also acquired a Gundam Seed Deastiny movie. Is it ok to watch this without having watched the Seed / Destiny series?
Timey's YouTube page!

Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:23 am

*shrugs* I have no idea. I've only seen the beginning of SEED and all 3 Stargazer eps.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Time Lord » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Never mind. I'll watch it anyway after I've finished watching A-Turn, thanks anyway. :smile:
Timey's YouTube page!

Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

PreviousNext

Return to The News Room