The Gundam Topic!

General news about anything.

The Gundam Topic!

Postby Transypoo » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:08 pm

It is the year: After Colony 195; there is much termoil in the Playhouse. A civil war has broken out in the masses:

Shade:

[A]pparently The 08th MS Team only had 2 GMs~ c-c; The GM Ground Type (one of my fav MS') and GM Sniper. So, which is it you mean? oo

Also, apparently, the Mass Produced Gundam kit came with a Zaku II kit: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10011168 I don't much like that Gundam, really... It's essentially just another GM. >_>; (And GMs are cheaply made, mass produced versions of the Gundam anyways, so what was the point of making the Mass Produced Gundam? Oo Is it made from Gundarium alloy, with the GMs made from some cheaper material... Or what?)

Uhh... Maybe a thread for Gundam is in order? c.c Especially with the fact of Gundam 00 being out...

Transypoo:

The one that's not the sniper.

I think the GMs had lower quality parts. Just look at the head, I figure that on the Gundam the eyes could swivel. The prolly cant on a GM, or a GM has one large camers, while the Gumdam has two.

Transypoo:

These are my Gundams:

For more Gundams look here!

Skidplates:

The interesting thing is that the RGM-79 GMs were much more high-performance GM models than the later, mass-produced RGM-79 (As seen in Mobile Suit Gundam), to the degree that Federation test pilots in the Sanders unit in the manga series Gundam Lost War Chronicles complain about the mass-produced Jims "Not feeling right" compared to the RGM-79-Gs they pilot at the beginning of the series.

Heh...man, the GM-II is so friggin' outdated by the time Zeta Gundam begins...and that's before AEUG even rolls out the Nemo, which pretty much makes the GM *totally* pointless. Still, they crop up in the rest of Zeta from time to time. What I love seeing in Zeta is all of the MSV (Mobile Suit Variation) suits that crop up in cameos/see minor action.

(I may not be up to date on my Gundam model knowledge, but I am a huge fan of the UC continuity, and have many of the things UC Bandai's put out (Except F-91 and G-Savior (Blarg)...and I have the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy instead of the TV series.) on DVD. Still wanna see ZZ, though; might have to get around to DLing it, considering Bandai doesn't show signs of releasing it any time soon. Dammit, I wanna see Bright with a chicken on his head...! XD

Shade:

... Don't watch ZZ. >_> Nothing good comes of it. Zeta is far greater than ZZ. Don't waste your time on it, seriously...

I do wonder, though, if you've watched UC era out of order. I watched it in order...

-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
-Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
-Mobile Suit Gundam: F91
-Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (which I am currently on)

ZZ totally ruined CCA for me... :\ I guess that's what I get for coming right out of ZZ and right into CCA, though... F91 I liked, though... Yet I still didn't like it as much, thanks to friggin ZZ. <_<;

In the beginning, ZZ is a decent series... Then you start to really hate it. The kids get control of the Near Argama... Judau is such a despicable character... He's so utterly selfish. They keep pointing out "Oh, Judau does it for the people (or some junk)," but, as you watch him, you realize it's all utter BULL!!

Gawd, Judau deserves the fate Camille got... Camille deserves far better. -_- ZZ completely destroys what Captain Bright is... Entirely. You will lose respect for ZZ Bright...

I'm aiming to watch myself the Zeta movies. They apparently seek to wipe out the stain that is ZZ... And rather successfully do so, if I'm not mistaken.

However much you may want to see that scene, it's not worth it... This comes from me, as well as my Gundam encyclopedia/friend Mike. :/ He and I have opposing views on many things... He likes MFGG and does not like Wing, while I enjoy Wing and refuse to ever see MFGG. Many things he likes, I do not; And many things I like, he does not. But we can definitely agree on the fact that ZZ is not worth it... That it should be gotten rid of, entirely.

Watch it if you really want to... But just be forewarned. Nothing good can come of watching ZZ...

Stay tuned for the exciting conclution!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Respond, Nate! Bish! >O

:P
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Sorry, was hip-deep in research for school.

Yeah...you have a point. The more I think about it...I'm only gonna check it out if Bandai actually releases it here and I can rent it. I hate when crappy sequels leave a bad taste in my mouth. XD It's more of "See if it's as bad as people say" at this point. I do like the MS designs, though. ^ ^

Doesn't sound as if it has some great Zeon character to balance out the irritation of the "hero" from what you say about it. (Dammit, Gato was the real hero of Stardust Memory...he was a thousand times more a man and a pilot that that loser Kou...although Kou is entertaining in his utter loserdom. I mean, the guy doesn't even get to kill Gato in the final battle...rather, Gato got that awesome "Blaze of glory" way of meeting death, while Kou's all left drifting there and then gets court-martialed. Nina was better off with a real man, Anavel Gato!

I recently watched/read all the UC Gundam I have (Movie Trilogy, Lost War Chronicles manga, 08th MS, 0080, 0083, Zeta, Char's Counterattack) in order and I didn't even need to have seen ZZ to enjoy Char's Counterattack, since it seems you could just...not watch it, and it wouldn't affect your understanding of the plot of the movie whatsover.

I like both G and Wing; but I like G more as a showpiece for the skills of director Yasahiro Imagawa (Giant Robo) than *as* a Gundam series. It's telling that of the G figures I have, they're all of the relatively more "normal" looking Gundams. (I do have Nobel Gundam, though, because of the sheer weirdness and the fact I like its pilot, Allenby (She was a total tomboy, which was really nice considering her super-stereotypically girly sailor-suit Gundam. ^ ^) Wing holds up really well; I rewatched it (For the first time in Japanese with subtitles) a year and a half ago.
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Judau ruins everything. Simple.

Outside of UC era, I've seen Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam X, have been in the midst of Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam for some time... And I still have yet to finish watching SEED. (I have seen all of SEED Stargazer, though.) And I won't watch SEED Destiny until after I see SEED.

Plan on getting into Gundam 00 (the latest series) myself...

And, yes, of course CCA would carry on as though ZZ never happened. (Though apparently Haro in Victory shows the mental and emotional scars ZZ left on him. >-> ) The reason being that, if you ever watch the Zeta movies, they actually retcon ZZ out of existence. So ZZ is a total waste of time, and only leaves you suffering because of it...

Watch the Zeta movies. They are far superior. I know this purely due to Judau... My friend Mike and I disagree on what was the ONLY good part of ZZ, though. For him, it was Haman Khan/Lady Haman... For me, it was Elpe Puru. >.> Though I am in agreeance with him on the whole Haman looked her hottest in ZZ. x; Though you can get that without having to actually watch ZZ. Same with you can get seeing Captain Bright with a chicken on his head without watching that damnable series.

And, as for your lack of response... That's why I put the :P at the end of my last post. ;p We know you're busy with school and all, as such we do not expect you to respond right away... So just chillax and take your time with the schooling stuff. 8)

... Or as much as they allow, anyways. XP

In regards to Nobel Gundam: I would shake my head at you if you had watched MFGG and did not have her... I refuse to ever watch the series, and I friggin wanna see her.

As a little random tidbit of info: Apparently, in the last couple or so eps of MFGG, they actually send out an early design of the Wing Gundam to battle and it gets toasted. >.> (Mike told me about it.) I wanna see those final 2 or so eps purely to see that - as well as apparently other various mobile suits from other (later) series get toasted. c.c
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:20 pm

Heh.

Nobel Gundam was actually surprisingly threatening; it had a backup "Berserker" system that would make the Mobile Suit more effective in battle, but more wild and difficult to control. In this mode, its backpack would open up to reveal its verniers, its hair would flare outward, and it would assume a more reddish/pinkish tinge. This was developed by Alleby's scientist father.

Actually, Nobel Gundam also ends up being corrupted by the Devil Gundam and Alleby being forced to pilot the Walter Gundam, one of the Four Heavenly Kings, the final enemies beneath the Devil and Master Gundams that Domon (The hero) has to deal with.

Walter Gundam:
http://www.mahq.net/Mecha/gundam/g/waltergundam.htm

It was a pretty nifty little story arc, with Rain (Domon's engineer/love interest) having to fight it out with Alleby (Also sort of a love interest) in their respective Gundams.

Yeah, G-Gundam is actually an intensely dark series, which I totally did NOT expect from the character designs, particularly the main character's story arc, which involves his brother being a pretty despicable villain, manipulations by the military that led to his family's misfortune, the death of his mother, his father being held in cryostasis until/unless he wins the Gundam fight, and his own master siding with the monstrous Devil Gundam his father and brother developed, which has its own mind. (And which infects and corrupts Mobile Suits and people using nanitic "DG Cells".

...Heck, the first episode opens with humans' lamentations over how the Earth has become a wasteland because the space colonists, who abandoned the Earth after despoiling its environment, use the planet as a staging ground for their Gundam conflicts (In order to avert full-blown war)...pretty much wrecking peoples' lives and society in the process. ^ ^

I used to scoff at G because of the wackier designs until Cartoon Network showed it. Now I have the whole thing on DVD. XD
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:47 am

It's not the designs that bother me, it's the story... I don't like action so much. I prefer drama over action. And, yes, I am aware that there is drama in MFGG... I skipped over everything but the very bottom of your post because it was all about MFGG and I already know more than enough about it to know I do not like the damned story. >_>;

Not enough drama to satisfy my tastes... However, your post *is* good for people who are interested in MFGG. :3 Personally, though, the only thing out of MFGG I'm interested in is the Nobel Gundam... And that's a purely design aesthetic kinda type thing. c.c;

A bit of a bother, but it was still awesome while it lasted nevertheless, was when I owned a Wizard The Comics Magazine exclusive transparent variant Shining Gundam figure (not kit). Don't have that anymore... If certain things in my life had not happened, I would still have it. Was fun to play with~ <3 Making all of its various openable areas for it's "powered" or whatever mode was always fun.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 am

Yay! I'm totally lost!

I've never bothered trying to figure out the whole Gundam universe. It's far to gundam big for my taste.

I liked 08th MS, an' Wing, an' I was enjoying the campy nature of the original series, up untill it was cancled. "G" was far too...mmm, wacky/dark for my tastes... I do have a couple of the action figure versions (Jester & "Plunger") from that series.

My fave suit was the Deathsyth 2.0... that is until my dirty GM came along.

You know, I have a box full of Gundams that I was gunna throw out 'r somethin' but now I might go through them an' see if I cam 'bash 'em inna somethin' cool.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:09 am

^A show can never be too dark! ^ ^

Anyhoo, yes, I like action quite a lot...and my taste in comedy ranges from the wittier stuff to super-violent slapstick (Throws a stack of desks). Annnd then we have stuff like Urusei Yatsura, where both forms of comedy, more intelligent and out and out brutal, converge into a fiery explosion!
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:45 pm

The Dragonball series is the only action series I've ever enjoyed... And, yes, that means Dragonball, Dragonball Z as well as Dragonball GT.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Yeah, I love DBZ. I like the Dragonball manga better than its anime incarnation, though (Less filler with the Red Ribbon Army/no filler between the young Goku's fight with the first version of Piccolo and the final Budokai of the series where Goku fights Piccolo's "successor"), so in my anime/manga collection, I have the complete DB manga but am collecting the new economy-priced DBZ DVD sets. (Just got season 2 for my birthday...yes, they're still on Namek. ^ ^)
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Only reason the DBZ anime took so long, everything was so lengthy and there were the movies was cause they were making it at the same time as the manga was being done... So the show could only go as fast as the manga could.

... Real smart there, business execs. Real smart... >_>; Though I am glad for the movies and 2 specials... My fav movie is "Fusion Reborn." ^^ That stuff is just frggin hiLARious. x) Veku is frickin pwnsome... x3

ANYways... I've kind of fallen a bit for Victory Gundam. I adore the design of the V Gundam, and even the design of BESPA's suits... Actually, I fell for that basic design soon as I saw F91. Though Victory does it really well, imo... All of the MS are transforming MS (except for 3 types from what I seen). And the majority of those are combiner types! =D (V Gundam is actually 3 parts and is mass produced, while BESPA's suits are all 2 parts. V Gundam is a fighter jet [core fighter] with upper and lower body parts be things that can be added onto the core fighter, while BESPA's suits are top and bottom parts that can each fly on their own.)

Lt. Chronicle is also just awesome... You end up really liking him right off. ^^ Uso I'm still a bit iffy on, though... Mainly it's his being flaky. :/ "I'mma pilot this MS!!!" "Now I'mma run back to that house where there's nothing but me, Shakti, a dog, a Haro and a baby that cries a lot!!!" "Now I'mma run back and fight cause I'm the BIG SHOT!!!"

... Gawd, someone just shoot him now, PLEASE. -.- And wtf is the deal with Shakti?!?!?!?! I swear she just wants to control Uso... She friggin took that letter from Katejina that was for Uso and, like, never showed it to him... Yeah, great friend right there - NOT. ¬_¬

Yep... I'm 13 episodes into the series (next for me to watch is episode 14) and already I have characters I want to see die. <_<;
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby ShadeC4 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:32 pm

RAWR NEED MORE GUNDAM RELATED STUFF TALKED ABOUT. ._<

Btw: I'm glad I said what episode I was on, cause I still have yet to go back to watching the rest of Victory. c.c
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Time Lord » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 pm

Trying to get into Gundam at the moment: got Dynasty Warriors Gundam for the 360 a few days ago and it made me want to watch the show proper. My only experience so far was Gundam Wing and a couple of Seed episodes (the shame!)

Now DBZ! I've just finished watching Uncut Season Four and I'm currently waited for an import of Season Five to come flying my way.
Timey's YouTube page!

Timey's thought of the Day: Transypoo fixed my sig? And put words in my mouth? Scandalous!
Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:26 pm

You mean Gundam's UC era? Do not watch Zeta or ZZ. Get a hold of the Zeta movie and skip those 2 series. (Zeta was ok, but ZZ ties directly into it, so you'd end up watching it for the completion sake and... You'd find the worst thing in Gundam history to date.)

Just zkip the entire "Zeta era"... (ZZ is short for "Double Zeta.") Watch the Zeta film, and then go to Char's Counterattack. You don't need to watch CC if you see the Zeta movie... (I have yet to see the Zeta movie myself, btw.) But it's a great film. :3 Thought watching ZZ did make me enjoy it less than I otherwise would have... =_____=

And, yes, ZZ is so bad that, unless I am mistaken, all UC era fans agree to not watch it, and are glad for the fact that the Zeta film retcons it out of continuity.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Matrix3 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 pm

If you have not heard Gundam 00 is comming to the Sci-Fi channel's animonday line up in November 17 and will air two episodes a week.
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Next

Return to The News Room