Comic News

Worst. Forum. Ever.

Postby Skids » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:25 pm

IDW is going to publish 504 page hardcover omnibus editions of its ongoing Transformers title. Volume one will probably encompass Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation and the Spotlights up to Soundwave. These will retail for 100 dollars each.

Here's some Don art from the defunct DW Beast Wars comic that was modified to make the Furman/Don IDW BW comic. As you can see, some of the panels are somewhat similar to those in the IDW book, although remember that the DW book was going to take place after the cartoon.
http://tfmaster.com/features_donfigueroa_bwcomic_01.php

Also, Furman on upcoming Beast Wars comics!

"Just wrapped the script for the first issue (of four) of IDW’s (Transformers) Beast Wars (vol 2): The Ascending, and I thought I’d share (what I can) of the content with you. Rest assured, these occasional script-wrap digressions will always be teasers rather than spoilers. So, what can I tell you? Well, for a start, expect a whole lot more Cybertron than in The Gathering (vol 1… now available as a handy-dandy TPB, in case you’re interested). We get a good look in on the planetary status quo, focusing on the overall command structure/hierarchy and special groups such as ‘The Pack.’ And… it’s there we meet our new ‘big bad.’ And I do mean “big.” What else? Well, we also see how Razorbeast and his earthbound (chronally displaced) Maximals are doing (and what Ravage’s Preds are up to). We find out what happened to Magmatron, and we learn the ultimate fate of Cybertron (and this is just issue #1!). Phew. Out at about the same time as The Ascending (poss. August, maybe Sept… TBC), we (finally) have the Beast Wars Profiles series I co-wrote (a while back) with bwtf.com’s Ben Yee. That (four issue) series pretty much encompasses every Beast Wars character from every toy line and TV show, including convention and store exclusives. V. useful it proved too, when it came to write The Ascending, as there’s more than the occasional nod to the Japanese BW series (and characters!). Oh, art on the Ascending, barring the man blowing some kind of artistic fuse (which is always possible, the rate he goes), is Don Figueroa (who else?). Art on the profiles book is by, well, just about everyone!"
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Skids » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks to Nick Roche, KUP has a Myspace page!
http://www.myspace.com/lostkup
Skids

Postby Skids » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:12 pm

In light of Soundwave's issue, I thought I'd post this picture showing what his Cybertronian form is like:

Skids

Postby Skids » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:37 pm

The first issue of IDW's reprinted Target 2006 (Classic UK Transformers 1986 movie tie-in story) comes out today!
My awesome inside sources have revealed that...

SPOILER SPACE

...in Target 2006, it is discovered by Jazz that the new Decepticon leader, Galvatron, is secretly the future version of Megatron. But don't believe *me*. ....HE Tell Me. Man, awesome, huh? With buzz like this, I just can't wait for the new movie this summer, can you, guys? Unicron's gonna rock! And you'll never guess what HIS secret is. You'll just have to wait for the final battle of the movie to find out, because I'm not telling. But don't worry, Prime doesn't really die. That was just an unsubstantiated rumor from one of those *lesser* sites. You know the ones. Oh. By the way: Guns. Lots of guns.
Skids

Postby Skids » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:09 am

Here's the cover to the Classics-themed Botcon comic.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/53984974/

One of these dudes will NOT be a convention exclusive. Hmmm...
Oh well, still can't swing the Club membership now, with other things going on, but considering we're getting an Armorhide redeco in the movie line, I'm not gonna be too bummed that I can't get the Huffer version, since at least I'll be able to have *some* redeco of this badass toy.

Mind you, the comic'll also be available in comic shops for us commoners to read, much as the last couple years' worth of Club comics have been collected into a trade (Picked it up today; OOOH, now THIS was Unicron handled right, darnit!) and the BW Prequel Botcon 06 comic hit retail shelves a few months back.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:12 am

Riight.

Could it be...Magnus? Or Grimlock?

Pro'lly Grimlock. Figuring how hard he was to find, they'd make a $40 Magnus exactly like the one that was at Target.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:38 am

Either way, Magnus is about two seconds away from flattening Huffer and Elita-1. ^_^

I do like how Springer was made from the Cybertron Defense Hot Shot mold, though. People forget about Springer's car mode, but in terms of the G1 toy, it's actually the more convincing of the two vehicle forms. I'm not too bummed about their getting Springer, since I have Superlink Springer (Aka Bulkhead), who has the more familar copter mode.
Skids

Postby Beastbot » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm going to guess Elita-1 is the one that won't be available at Botcon, since she has a new head mold and all the Club Exclusives (that you pay extra for) so far have had new head molds.
Last updated November 14th
Current Transformers Total: 4,377
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Skids » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:57 pm

With Spotlight: Kup, Nick Roche proves not only to be a technically excellent, creative, and highly versatile artist, but an excellent storyteller. His grasp of characterization, evident in his depictions of Springer, Kup, and, in the minor but interesting capacity that he served in the story, Prowl, is top-notch. The uncomfortable moral dilemmas both Kup's actions as a result of his psychological disturbance and Springer's reaction to Kup's behavior entail are novel to Transformers, but quite welcome in that they raise the bar regarding what this property is, in terms of storytelling, capable of presenting. Just another way in which IDW is giving Transformers the serious story treatment we've many of us long-suspected the property was capable of supporting.

Really, every Spotlight issue has been wonderfully character-driven, not that characterization hasn't been a strong suit in the ongoing, either, mind you.

Speaking of the ongoing...Since the Spotlights eventually tie into the ongoing series, I can't wait to see the inevitable fallout from Kup's actions play out in the ongoing. Until then, I'll be in suspense.
Skids

Postby Skids » Thu May 10, 2007 10:06 am

Furman:

"Devastation, I swear, will endeavour to draw a line under a several of the dangling plot threads (even as others kick in/off). So, what can we expect from Devastation? Well, for starters, Sixshot. He's the spur that sets off a whole heap of other stuff, very much the cat among the pigeons. His appearance on Earth heralds' the return of Starscream (and yes, for those who've wondered, he's been in a regenerative C.R Chamber since Infiltration #6, repaired but 'on ice' as it were), the Reapers' (final?) rampage and Skywatch's (first?) pre-emptive strike against the Transformers. Also, our 'B' plotline focuses very much on the Machination as we reveal (yes, reveal!) startling developments for Hunter, the fate of Sunstreaker and, yes, the 'head' of the Machination. Oh, and the IDW-verse Headmasters make their presence felt. Then there's the build-up to Revelation, with more on Galvatron, the Dead Universe, [blank] Prime, (Double)Dealer (!) and Nightbeat (did he kill the Koska facsimile? You'll have to wait until Revelation for that!). As mentioned previously, the Galvatron and Optimus Prime Spotlight issues (July and August respectively) are pretty essential reading and do actually bridge the gap between Escalation and Devastation somewhat. Sideswipe's appearance in Galvatron is the foreshadowing of his 'ongoing' debut and the two (IDW) debuts in Optimus Prime set up the titanic fifth (sixth if you count Stormbringer) story arc. Anyhow, I've said enough (for now at least). I'll be back with a formal (w)rap on Devastation #2 in due course."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So basically: GOOOOOD things in store!!! Damn, I'd forgotten all about Double Dealer...
Skids

Postby Skids » Tue May 22, 2007 4:41 pm

GAH, this Wolverine is horrible! Awesome Prowl, though. This guy isn't the cover artist, thank goodness. Heh.
http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.ph ... opic=30069
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Tue May 22, 2007 6:10 pm

I only have two thigs to say about that cover:

This...

...and this.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:19 pm

BOW before Don, yes, bow....
(I put the two images together, by the way; a little rough, but pretty good.)
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:32 pm

Actually I can't even see the seam, there's a little white block at the top, but other wise good work!

(OH! also I just noticed, Skids you'r a Barron of the Keepers now, and Beastbot's a Keeper. ^_^)
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:38 pm

Transypoo wrote:(OH! also I just noticed, Skids you'r a Barron of the Keepers now, and Beastbot's a Keeper. ^_^)

YESSSS...BOW DOWN before your lord and master, dogface!

And by that I mean, be at peace, my son...
Skids

PreviousNext

Return to The Comic Shop