Postby Skids » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:03 am

Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Matrix3 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:34 pm

That is good news to hear more BW stuff is on its way. :D
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Postby Beastbot » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:23 am

Can't... wait... any longer... for BW... profile books...
Last updated November 14th
Current Transformers Total: 4,377
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Skids » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:39 am

More Roche goodness, from the Spotlight: Kup issue. I love the style of this artwork; Roche has confirmed that it's for the purposes of a flashback scene, though, meaning most of the book ought to be in his usual style.

http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dacpy8.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... b8fza1.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... cc5ae7.jpg

Speaking of which, another cover image in the Target 2006 reprint collection! The Wreckers!
http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 2c2zu6.jpg
Skids

Postby Skids » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:47 pm

Furman talks Spotlight: Galvatron:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=10034

Badass; he and Megs are separate, unrelated characters. Actually, his existence predates Megatron's. Looks as if Galv is going to, in a manner similar to X-Men's Mr. Sinister, make gradual inroads into the storyline, culminating in his making a massive splash.

Oh, and a bit about Megatron Origins:

DEATH TO CY-KILL!!!
http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... drejo0.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... olohv4.jpg
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Ah, Megs, you go girl.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Bah, so Megatron killed Cy-Kill. So what? A slight perturbed bunny could kill Cy-Kill.
Last updated November 14th
Current Transformers Total: 4,377
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Skids » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:07 pm

You take that back. Cy-Kill was a stone-cold badass, the terror of Gobotron, the the...well, no, no he wasn't. But he was a robot with a five o'clock shadow! Be afraiiiid...!

I don't know what's scarier, that or Leader 1's beady little eyes and nicotine-stained yellow teeth. I'm also subliminally disturbed by the fact that Leader 1 had Megatron's colors and Cy-Kill has Prime's. Also, wouldn't the "Renegades" usually be the good guys? Had Hanna Barbera not seen Star Wars? Heroic little guys against a huge evil empire is the usual arrangement. Besides, "The Guardians" has an Orwellian/Reign of Terror tinge to it. Leader 1 and the Committee of Public Safety, beheading you for your own good!

Unfortunately, although I like my Cy-Kill figure, he doesn't have any tires...meaning he can only transform into "Praying to Mecca" mode. ^_^ Or should I say, Praying to MECHA...?
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Hey I been rereading Infiltration, it's AWESOME!

But I noticed on page one of issue 1 (Not zero, one) on the laptop screen, it mentions larger dinno like robot being discovered in...Eureka, Navada.

It also mentions a 1984 St. Helens eruption. spawning some sighings, and then later in 2002 the major sightings began with foot prints in a feild.

Very cool stuff.

My only complaints are a couple of coloring screwups. Runabout and Runamuck switch damage. (A coloring error of sorts coloring the two identicle cars the wrong colors, could happen to anyone.)

And mybe one or two akward lines.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:45 pm

It's so damned good in large part because of the writing and art, but also thematically. Specifically, it's a more than welcome series because it's the first genuine and serious sci-fi Transformers series that doesn't advertise or even *feature* real toys (Well, except for Jetfire, but I chalk that up to the Classics toy having been planned and Don deciding to recycle the design for IDW). Let me tell you, it's been a marvelous recruiting tool for new fans on my front. Muahahaha!!!

In case you're interested, the black and white inked lineart trade edition of Infiltration can be had over Amazon.com for about four bucks. I bought that and the trade version of Stormbringer, and preordered the trades of Spotlight and Escalation (Due this summer). This stuff's good enough that it deserves to be on my shelf, not just in my comic pile. ^_^

Also, Megatron Origins hotness:
Very little has ever been seen of the Autobots and Decepticons on their home planet of Cybertron prior to the civil war that divided the Transformers into good and evil factions. Holmes did promise readers they'd see familiar faces, but also that Megatron may not quite be what you expect, "Megatron is not a general, not even a leader of any sort at the start of the series - he's someone getting the grubby end of the stick in an increasingly disparate society. There's a reason for this war, and the root of it all is greed. It's driving society to fracture - violently. Megatron is not the character you recognize at first, but he has aspects of the character we know. Through the tale he learns the lessons that make him the Megatron we know."

Holmes continued, "There'll be a bunch of other Transformers in the story, all a little tweaked from what you know. It's fun to imagine who is doing what before the war. The focus is mostly on the classic characters, the ones there right from the beginning. Prowl. Soundwave. Starscream. A few of the lesser-seen characters. Ratbat. Blades. A bunch of cameos of people in civilian life. We have a Prime, but it's not Optimus - it's Sentinel Prime. There are a lot of ideas in this. I honestly wish I had more pages - you could do a lot "before the war" and continue it as the war is spreading across the planet."

"Megatron Origin" #2 cover colors
Some fans have expressed concern over the notion of a "good Megatron,"citing concern of turning Megatron from bad guy supreme into a misunderstood hero. For Holmes' part, he said that fans shouldn't be so quick to toss around the labels of "good"and "bad.""I guess if you look at the package of the toy he's an 'Evil Decepticon'...or is that just Autobot propaganda?"asked Holms. "All the classic TF stories are told from the perspective of the Autobots as the central figures of the tale, hence they are the heroes. I firmly believe that any villain has to be the hero of his own story. If you look at any story from the perspective of the other side, they're on their own journey, doing what they believe is right. Nobody sets out to be 'evil' or decides to be 'bad'. They have their own values arrived at through their own life experience. Megatron is definitely not the classic definition of a hero though, more of an anti-hero.

"Is the Punisher a 'good guy'? Is Magneto? It's all subjective. I guess Magneto is 'classified' as a villain, but he has his own ideas and value system he's chosen to uphold, and in the classic comic canon he's set against the heroes. It's his values that differentiate him, not that's he's fighting the heroes."

Megatron will also stand out from the crowd for much the same reason he'd stand out later--sheer brutality and a cold, calculating soul (or 'spark' in Transformers terms). "He has an utterly brutal side of him that he doesn't have completely in check. He's violent, and he likes to endorse that. That's one of the key things about the story; he experiences it, then finds out that <i> he likes it</i> and that he can make a good living through exploiting it. He's going to look in the mirror in this series and do some soul-searching about what he finds."

"Megatron Origin" #2 variant cover by Marcelo Matere
Fans shouldn't worry that Megatron's vicious streak will be diluted by providing an understandable origin. "He absolutely must have reasons for doing what he's doing,"asserted Holmes. "This is something Paul Jenkins was great at spelling out when we worked with him. He referred to 'evil for evil's sake villains' as 'moustache twirlers.' You just can't invest in that beyond the world of Penelope Pitstop; people just don't decide to be evil. They get their values from their experiences and then come into conflict with others who have different values. Subjectively, I guess both parties could call the other 'evil'.

"It's a divisive issue, because when you first see the setup it is quite jarring, divisive even. Readers aren't used to seeing Megatron in the starring role. But Hannibal Lecter is fascinating as the lead character in his own stories too, hmm? Decepticons are underhanded, brutal, destructive - but what if there was a reason why they chose to fight that way? If you can see why he does it, if you put him in circumstances that demand it to remain consistent with his values, he'll be sympathetic. Being cool doesn't hurt either, and Megatron is an inherently attractive and charismatic character."

In classic Transformers lore, Megatron relied on two lieutenants -- the ice cold Soundwave and the oft-traitorous, rarely loyal Starscream. For an entity as intelligent as Megatron, one had to wonder why Starscream's plans to overthrow Megatron (which included creating his own Decepticons to subjugate the rest of the clan) were so well tolerated. "You'll see Starscream in a role you haven't quite seen before,"teased Holmes. "I won't say more than that. Their first ever meeting is in this story, as are many other 'first encounters'. It's not quite what you'd expect. Starscream wasn't born a traitor. The two characters will work together - and it won't be a smooth ride. We'll be setting some precedents that dovetail nicely into Simon Furman's current IDW story."

For those not enamored with the Transformers, the appeal of the franchise can be quite confusing, as the show was/is perceived as intended for children and not adults. Holmes can't speak for all fans, but he explained what makes him a Transfan for life. "Timing for our generation was a huge part, I'm sure - hence the movie being well timed at this point for new parents to be taking <i> their </i> kids to the new movie this year,"he said. "I'm sure there's a Hollywood clock to this stuff. Look at the offset between the original Star Wars movies to the new sequels. Now Transformers-- no coincidence I'm sure. I've always thought the concept of Transformers is great fun for kids because it enriches the 'real' world. Dad's truck doesn't have to just be a truck - it can be pictured as turning into a giant robot! As any Transformers-minded kid, it was special whenever you saw a Volkswagen bug or whatever any official Transformer turned into. I wonder if the GM placement in the new movie will swing many prospective buyers through the same enthusiasm?

"The mythos that Simon built up back in the day was a huge part of why it was fun to think about the universe. He'd always be throwing off an idea here or there about their culture, history, traditions, technology and it would get you thinking about how it all worked. One particularly neat idea from back in the day was an 'inhibitor claw'; a piece of technology that inhibited a Transformers mobility by stopping the various pieces it clamped into from moving, hence stopping a Transformation. It was such a simple idea, but a neat little nugget. Simon is great for that. Oh, and they turn up in the origin series! The Decepticons were always a favorite for me. I'm convinced you could tell a whole host of stories with nothing but them as the cast; they've got everything you need for conflict and drama without showing a single Autobot insignia. I think they have the fan draw too."

Artist Alex Milne is a perfect choice to illustrate the book in Holmes' mind, as the scribe praised Milne for his nuanced artwork. "Alex has a great level of mechanical understanding a great eye for action. I think that's when you get the best Transformers work; you get characters that look like real machines but deliver scenes where they're just as expressive as people. It's a tough line to walk, but Alex makes it look easy. Like the best artists, he's super-passionate about his work and doesn't want to let go of anything until it's great. Alex has had a lot of great ideas about the physical evolution of the character.

"We'll be taking [Megatron] from civilian to leader. There's been some talk about what he is in the online forums from the covers that have gone out, so I'll tell you here: he's a miner, working on an Energon excavation site. He toils to extract the riches from the mines only to see it taken away to fill the coffers of Cybertron's richest, while he gets just enough to see him through the next day's work. Alex has the job of taking him from here to the fusion-cannon wielding leader of an army. He's done a great job - you're going to love the cover of #4!

"Alex was also the artist selected for the IDW movie adaptation, so I think that tells you how much IDW and Hasbro respect his work; those movie characters are far from easy! You'll be hearing more 'Alex Milne' in the future!"

With Holmes being such a devoted Transformers fan, and the planned "Galvatron"one-shot (about which Simon Furman talked to us recently), it has to be asked: who wins in a fight, Megatron or his future upgraded self Galvatron?

"The ancient secret of who wins in a comic book match-up. Just look and see in whose series the fight is appearing in - that's always who wins!"laughed Holmes.
Skids

Postby Skids » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:17 pm

Just read Spotlight Soundwave yesterday. It's the perfect afterward to Stormbringer. It follows up on Bludgeon's investigation of Shockwave's experiments in Spotlight: Shockwave, which in turn leads Bludgeon to Earth, and Ore 13/Ultra Energon (In Infiltration, it's called Ore 13, but in Stormbringer, Ultra Energon. They're exactly the same thing.) in 1984--ore/energon which Bludgeon extracts and takes back to Cybertron to revive Thunderwing in 2006. Bludgeon's underground lair in Stormbringer was even Shockwave's own research facility, albeit expanded. As for Soundwave's role in all this, you'll just have to read the issue for yourself. Suffice it to say that he was tasked by Megatron to keep an eye on Bludgeon after Megatron ordered Bludgeon to check into what Shockwave had been researching at the end of Spotlight: Shockwave.

I was thinking about Infiltration, actually...and the whole IDW-verse in general:

Compared to G1 Megatron, who was incompetent in the cartoon and a mad dog in the comics, THIS Megatron runs a VERY tight ship in terms of quickly shutting down (or attempting to shut down) anyone who's too reckless, be it Starscream, Bludgeon or Thunderwing when Megatron cancelled his experiments.

He had Soundwave keep an eye on Bludgeon, PROBABLY had him keeping an eye on Thunderwing, too, back when Thunderwing was trying his controversial experiments, was ready to have Razorclaw nuke Cybertron just to stop Thunderwing's resurrection...and of course, he shut down Starscream's plans to use Ore 13 to his own benefit on Earth in Infiltration.

I LOVE how Screamer tried to betray Megs, Megs was all MMMM...NO, *blammo*, and Starscream hasn't been heard from since. ^_^ It sure beats giving your most treacherous lieutenant a million second chances, until it finally gets you dumped out of Astrotrain for dead while he claims leadership. (See Transformers the movie. ^_^) The anticlimactic nature of Megatron's and Starscream's fight in Infiltration tickled me pink--there's all this buildup with Starscream weaving his webs, and then Megatron, within a few issues, comes in and lays down the law, then sets in motion the whole impendingly catastrophic sequence of events we have building in Transformers Escalation by simply taking over the operations Starscream was already setting up so carefully. (Granted, Starscream was setting things up for his own self-benefit, whereas Megatron leads for the benefit of the Decepticons as a whole.) Megs even admitted that Starscream had done a great job setting everything up for Stage Two to be initiated. Love it, love it.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:30 am

Oh, heck out side of the Transformers the characters all have interesting personality quirks, some of which *coughVeritcough* could get them into trouble.

Also I think the 'Cons are gunna make a replicant of Hunter. An' he's gunna be 'rescued' by the 'bots and then much later be reveild for what he is. Sort of like a preplanned clone saga.

I also feel that Screamer will be back, but I'd love it if he never came back. That was his end. Just "Take your Punishmet like a Decepicon!" And "VAAAAAAAAAR!!!" An' he's a gonner! Good bye, and thanks for all the fish!

Also I jus' LOVE the 'Con board meeting. The breifing.

The whole thing could easly be turned into a movie or a TV show. Or, just be an awesome comic book... huuuumm?

Yeah, I'm thinking about the traids, but then IDW did the unthinkable inthe terms of no ads in the actual story. Now I said the same thing about DW. But look how that turned out.... I'll look into the traids. Yeees.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Matrix3 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:07 pm

Well just in case you forgot or do not know the comic company SLG (Slave Labor Graphics) is publishing a gargoyles comic book series. The first two issues deal with the events of the first episode of the 3rd season (called "The Journey") but the 3rd which will be realeased tommorow will deal with a new story line. Best of all the comic series is written by Greg Weisman and the story line will go in the direction he originally intended it to go.
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Postby Transypoo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Oh, cool, yeah, I've been folowing that series, the problem is I stopped watching the TV series when it switched to Sat. mornings. So it's a little disjointed for me... an' I still haven't bought the 2nd season on DVD. Darned boxsets costing money et all.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:17 pm

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324
In September, we'll be getting an Optimus Prime Spotlight from Furman and Don! Wonder if this'll shed any light on this universe's Prime's past?
Skids

PreviousNext

Return to The Comic Shop