Comic News

Worst. Forum. Ever.

Comic News

Postby Skids » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:45 pm

In April, IDW is going to come out with a black and white manga sized version of Stormbringer. Plus, Fun Productions will publish the Fan Club comics for mass consumption, ala the mass released Beast Wars convention comic, in a 72 page collected edition!
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Skids » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:35 pm

Skids

Postby Matrix3 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:22 pm

Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Postby Transypoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:20 am

Army of Darness meets Zombie Marvel. Dot. Dot. Dot. The Marvel univers(es) just colapst into one another. Does this mean Ash could be in the movies, if they killed Peter and he rose from the dead? ... oh, wait he IS in the Spider-man movies! ^_^
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:53 am

I guess they remembered that Sam Raimi directed both movie franchises!
Skids

Postby Skids » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:02 am

TRANSFORMERS: THE ARK -- A COMPLETE COMPENDIUM OF TRANSFORMERS ANIMATION MODELS

Cover by Don Figueroa.

Revisit The Transformers, one of the most popular cartoons of the 1980s, in "The Ark." "The Ark" collects over 500 of the animation models from the classic TV show that have been painstakingly restored to their original glory. This volume has them all, from Optimus Prime to Galvatron, and features a brand new Don Figueroa cover. These designs are incredibly rare and are seldom seen outside of Japan. This amazing collection has been painstakingly organized and assembled by Jim Sorenson and William Forster.

208 pages, black and white, $19.99.

OOOOOOHHHHHH...NICE.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Indeed.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:46 am

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/tfkup.shtml
Story on Spotlight: Kup, written and drawn by Nick Roche!
Skids

Postby Skids » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:07 pm

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1103330
Covers for the Megatron origin IDW mini-series!
I loved Milne's work on the late issues of the Energon comic, so it's nice to see him doing work for IDW. Plus, unlike Pat Lee, who Milne's stuck to even into Dreamengine days, IDW will actually, y'know, *pay* him...(What a novel idea!)
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Woh, I love that Proto type look on Megs... It's like he was BUILT to lead.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:31 pm

I'd say "Built to Rule" but that would resurrect traumatic memories. ^_^

Interestingly, this will be written by someone other than Furman, but with Furman having created this universe, I'm sure they'll run a tighter ship than at Dreamwave, where one hand didn't know what the other was doing. Heck, one hand didn't usually even know what *it* was doing, there. >_< Pat Lee's penciling hand, to be precise.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Or Brad Mc"I have three names!"'s hand dropping plot points faster then he could make them up, or Patlee obviously changing the story as he was drawing. "No, I think Prime would kill all the humans in the world if he was givin the chance, I really, do, that's why on this page he's raping puppies!"

And the only spots of light back in the "Dark age" was Ferman and Don working together.

Oh, and Kill that colorist.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Well, the Energon comic was pretty damn good, although it was never finished. I mean, yah, it was much more of your lightweight, popcorn book, but hey, they figured it'd be the kid-targeted book. (Except for the fact that it wasn't sold anywhere kids could *read* it...so they should've just made it a full-blown serious story.) Still, it was what the Energon cartoon *should've* been.

Oh, one of my biggest points of contention with Dreamwave was how they managed to screw up the reunion of Furman and Andy Wildman with their murky colors. I've seen the lineart, and Wildman was as strong as ever...but as with the Wreckers #2, DW applied a totally inappropriate style of coloring to his work, uh, baddening it. Making it worse? Wildman and Dan Khanna (The excellent artist behind Wreckers) have a very animated style that needs the sort of "four-color" (I know it's digital, now, but it looks like the old style coloring) coloring that IDW is giving EJ's and Roche's work. Heck, so does Guido, and they colored his work on Armada and Energon just fine. No love for the Wild Man, though? >_<

Oh well...I still wanna get the trade of War Within Dark Ages, since War Within was the best thing DW had going for them and I love Wildman's pencils, but...Jeezum, it coulda been so much *better*-handled!

But yah...they should've gotten worried as soon as Mick said "This is my first comic writing gig!" Uh, yeah...Toppe Flats was the second time I ever tried to write a comic script, and although I'm happy with it...there's a reason it's forever condemned to the "Workroom" as rough work. Surely there could've been more experienced writers DW could have tapped. Y'know, someone in the office. Someone like...SIMON FURMAN?! Loathe as I am to quote Will Smith, "AW HELL NAW..." Somehow I don't think Furman would actually have turned DOWN another title...
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Actually untill recently Comic transformers have NEVER had a good colorist... except for the first Wreckers comic. That was pretty good.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:28 pm

I dunno, I'm looking at the first volume of War Within, and although he's not a patch on our current guy, Josh Burcham, who handles Don's work at IDW, Ruffs was a pretty good *colorist*...just utterly putrid at pencilling. (Sixshot Spotlight shows he just might have a particle or two of talent waiting to be exploited, though, although all I could think reading it was, "Darn, why couldn't Roche have done this one, too?")

Ah, Nick Roche...a fine addition to the world of Transformers artists:
Skids

Next

Return to The Comic Shop