Comic News 1/08

Worst. Forum. Ever.

Comic News 1/08

Postby Skids » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Similarly, time to roll out the new, and the old will fall to the bottom of the page before long! ^ ^

Simon Furman:
Let’s kick off with Transformers. No movie this year, but plenty of major-league comics goodness in the works. First off from me, a trio of Spotlights: Blaster, Arcee and Grimlock. All feed into the main ‘ongoing’ storyline to greater or lesser extents, with all three characters having scores to settle or something to prove (or both). Arcee is perhaps the most pivotal, but Blaster has definite repercussions, as does Grimlock, which in and of itself leads into one of my main IDW/TF projects for 08. But that’s NOT the only special project in the pipeline for me. There’s also a series that goes back to a time before anything we’ve seen so far in the new IDW/TF-verse, one that will underpin the entire Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation/Revelation continuity. ‘Epic’ doesn’t even begin to cover this one! And, of course, there’s Revelation itself, the fourth (fifth including Stormbringer) arc in the IDW/TF-verse, as the Dead Universe storyline that’s been bubbling under for a while now explodes into (un)life! And that’s just what’s on my plate so far. Expect more Spotlights/projects to be announced as 08 progresses!
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Skids » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:01 pm

... Like a cow! O.o
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Skids

Postby Transypoo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey, Skidsy, you're link is broky!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:15 am

Transypoo wrote:Hey, Skidsy, you're link is broky!

Nah, it just suffers from "No remote hosting" syndrome... Copy and paste the URL and it should work. =)
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Yah, TFW provides a copy and pastable link with the tags attached, but it seems it only lasts temporarily.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Oh my, that's AWESOME!!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Skidplates wrote:Yah, TFW provides a copy and pastable link with the tags attached, but it seems it only lasts temporarily.

Hmm... Then maybe stuff at sites that refuse remote hosting should be uploaded to free hosting sites, with a link to the location of the original?
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:36 pm

I live in Australia and one of our local current affairs programs just ran a spot on a IDW writer who lives here (Shane McCarthy). He revealed IDW's plans for this year. A new series called All Hail Megatron. Evidently it has the Decepticons showing up on Earth and creating havoc, however there are no Autobots around to stop them. A teaser poster was shown sporting a red Decep sigil and the words 'Swear Alliegance'. It is due in April/May.

O_O NIIIICE...
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm

HUmmm....yeees...
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 am

Skidplates wrote:I live in Australia and one of our local current affairs programs just ran a spot on a IDW writer who lives here (Shane McCarthy). He revealed IDW's plans for this year. A new series called All Hail Megatron. Evidently it has the Decepticons showing up on Earth and creating havoc, however there are no Autobots around to stop them. A teaser poster was shown sporting a red Decep sigil and the words 'Swear Alliegance'. It is due in April/May.

o_o...

Oh my, I may just have to pick that up. ;0
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 pm

HEY! :happy4:

Guess what kids! :happy3:

Captian America's comming back to life! :happy3:

And he has a new costume! :happy4:

Let's take a look at it! :happy3:

:happy4: WOW! Sure is shiny!

It looks alot like the old one though, so what's different? :smile:

Well, let's take a look! :happy2:

:happy4: :happy3: :happy2: :happy: :blank: :confused: :confused2: :confused3:

Wait... what? Why's he got that strpy heart on his tummy? :confused2:

Why is he all black all over? :mad:

What's going on here? :madder:

What? Alex Ross? :confused3:

Why would he DO this to us? :madder:

No, no, no this is all wrong! :madest:

He should have red boots aleast. :confused3:

Oh, well, I never like Cap'um A' much any ways... :smile:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:56 pm

o_o...

Ew. >>;
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Read Dev #4! Dang, great issue...! I continue to enjoy Sixshot's characterization. He was relatively bored earlier (Meh, just a job...), but now that he's getting into the fight a little more, he was showing off his smartass side. His dialog came off as supremely confident...this is still rather a breeze for him, and he's a jerk about it 'cuz he knows it. I honestly loved when he started bragging about his stats (Those are some damned frightening specs (If you think about 'em) to throw out there, especially when the puny guys who're attempting to take you out already know they don't have a chance in hell). I liked how he finished up that whole spiel with "Oh. And I'm very fast...and very strong!" and proceeded to kick ass with relative ease. The whole thing, from the ridiculous stats to switching quickly to normal speak, had a really tongue-in-cheek feel to it, unlike when they'd do the same in Marvel's stuff. (And, ow, Jazz--and Bumbles got taken out with one shot, nicely realistic.)

Loved how Prime totally called him on his boasting, too: "Here's where we separate the truth from the hyperbole". Sixshot's response was equally fun: "You're right. Enough Hard sell". I could get to like the idea of Prime and Sixshot as rivals. Before this issue, it was just another job, but by the end, it seems it was a little more personal, judging from how he said to Prime he'd be back to finish things. I guess usually you don't happen to stumble upon an Autobot unit that actually survives courtesy of being led by the supreme commander.

All in all, I enjoy how Sixshot is a talkative super-soldier instead of some strong silent type. He clearly has the muscle to back up his talk, after all.

So yeah, cool how he was pretty much unstoppable (And knew it). I enjoyed how the Autobots were really in full "last stand" mode as a result, fighting on despite the circumstances. You'd almost expect Prime to yell "Never surrender"--but what was nice was that they weren't going to "Take him down or die trying"--they were just buying time to get the hell outta there because they knew they were totally outmatched. I like it when the heroes are really thrown into nasty situations; one of my big draws in reading stories is "How are they gonna get out of THIS one!?"

Good to see Hardhead in action, too--I liked his direct approach to things. ^ ^

In terms of the mass destruction...to be honest, it's the first human-endangering dust-up in 20 issues of the ongoing (Counting Stormbringer) so I say, "Right time". Ever since we got a peek at the end result of the process in Stormbringer where the Wreckers were on that totally ruined planet, I've wanted to see a little havoc brought to Earth. I was hoping the Ark would crash into that town and obliterate it in issue two, to be honest (I know, I'm bad...! ^ ^). My only complain might be that I wish we'd gotten to see a few more humans directly endangered, like on the cover. You have to figure a lot of off-panel casualties resulted from the city being ruined, though.

If anything, considering that not only the general public but the spooks are now on to the Transformers' existence (And neither is going to be in love with the Cybertronians, considering the "Bomb first" policy), disguise is going to become downright *imperative* in the wake of this storyline, in a way it wasn't when they were just urban legends or seen by a few Russian guys. I doubt any of the Autobots are going to want to waltz around in robot mode unless they have to, since the reaction is so catastrophic. The 'Cons, on the hand, I could see saying "To hell with disguise" and doing some serious damage...which makes things all the more tough for the Autobots who wanna hide themselves.
Skids

Next

Return to The Comic Shop