Budget cuts

The Weeping Corner, go to it.

Budget cuts

Postby Skids » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Beast Hunters is turning it around very nicely, but man, TF took it on the kneecaps in 2012. All-plastic figures, less paint, a lighter, more hollow feel. All of the regular Prime guys with 1st Ed. counterparts (EXCEPT Vehicon) pale in comparison. I got some of the Chinese repaints of 2010 molds around the same time as FoC Swindle and was depressed.

Things seem to be looking up, though! They figured out how to do good work on a tighter budget. Here's hoping TF4 brings in the dough.

Same w. Joe. Hasbro slashed articulation and felt the heat. Now the upcoming stuff looks great! Bring on John MacClane/Joe Colton (who is one to a case. Boooo! HISS)!
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Re: Budget cuts

Postby Transypoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm

... Really? I didn't notice anything different...
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Re: Budget cuts

Postby Skids » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 am

It's an observation many have made--seems to mainly hit the recent Generations stuff. Look at how denuded most of the FoC figures look in terms of paint apps. Jazz is particularly bad. And the Combaticons really have the cheap/light feel to them too. I'm unsure if this is a compromise with the fact that they have to combine but...

Prime is okay, but the FE debacle soured things a little--they did the best versions first, then couldn't release them and produced (IMO) somewhat mediocre second versions to replace them. Those molds are better as new characters, though. And the Beast Hunter retool of Bee redeems him 100%.

But I look at Voyager Starscream or deluxe Arcee and realize the FEs make me happier and I wonder why I got them. More Botcon table fodder, I guess! I wish I waited for the BH retools as they make the designs distinct. Kinda wish we were getting a retooled regular Voyager Bulkhead and Screamer ala the others being heavy retools.

It might be the price hike making me more critical, but the decision to go all plastic says something. Hasbro pretty much admitted at NYCC that there was a wave or two where value and cost were not equivalent; hence the big dragons and accessories being their way of adding value back. And it's working! Toy fair was a stellar showing!
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Return to The Weeping Corner