Transformers: Devastation

Let's play a game!

Transformers: Devastation

Postby Beastbot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/video-games-17/transformers-devastation-more-info-including-characters-consoles-and-voice-cast-183014/

Coming out on October 6th for PS3, PS4, Xbox360, and XboxOne!

I'm surprised at a straight-up G1 cartoon game for the main consoles, but I suppose I shouldn't be given that Generations seems to taking up more and more a percentage of Hasbro's TF sales compared to [insert current TF cartoon/movie here].

Has anyone here played a game by Platinum Games (the developer)? I've seen positive things said about them, but have not personally played or am familiar with a game done by them so far.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone on TFW listed past games by them.... it's a pretty impressive list:
"Bayonetta 1 and 2, Metal Gear Rising Revengence, Vanquish, Mad World, Viewtiful Joe, Ōkami, God Hand, The Wonderful 101, Anarchy Reigns, etc.

They do fast/fun combat better then anyone (IMO)."

Forgot that Viewtiful Joe and Okami were done by them; I've played those. Officially getting psyched now.
Last updated March 5th
Current Transformers Total: 4,549
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Re: Transformers: Devastation

Postby Transypoo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Okami is one of my favorite games of all time, and I enjoyed Mad World until it got too hard. Yeah, Platinum has really earned their name.

This game looks AMAZING. It's got a Sunbow/Marvel Prod., Dreamwave (yes, this is a plus), and Studio OX look to it. Totally getting it.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:38 pm

I LOVE the OX-like art style! Looks ripped from the pages of TV Magazine! This is what Pat Lee imagined his art to look like.

With all the Runamuck/Runabout lookalike troops the Cons have, I also like that it seems to treat Battlechargers as the G1 equivalent of Prime's Vehicons (generic troopers).

It is awesome that they are getting Cullen, Welker, Gilvezan and other G1 voice actors to voice their characters, too!
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Transypoo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:12 am

Excellent.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:32 pm

I've played it about 3 hours now, give or take. I finished the first chapter (which is large; judging by how many collectibles I got, I think there's only 3-4 chapters in the game). My initial impressions:

The Good:
-The combat, obviously (with a few minor caveats; see below)
-The cell-shaded graphics fit G1 perfectly
-Fanwankery all OVER the place, some obvious, some obscure. (A store named "Raoul's Frozen Foods".... one of the sword types you can get looks like Optimus Primal's sword, and from Prime, there's Solus' Prime's hammer and the Dark Star Saber.)
-The level layout is very well thought-out, with the "Cyberformed highways" that you get access to allowing you to revisit areas from higher views/vantage points and get new secrets.
-Your character's stats that you upgrade are the eight traditionally on the Tech Specs on toy packages.
-All the G1 voice actors that aren't dead are back. Whoever Wheeljack's new VA is, he's right on target.
-Extremely well-thought-out boss battles, even when it comes to the "lesser" battles, such as against the individual Constructicons. (For example, Hook will transform into his vehicle mode and swing his crane arm in a very wide arc in an attempt to get you from far away; meanwhile, Bonecrusher will use the drill on the front of his vehicle mode to tunnel underground and attempt to erupt from beneath you, doing extra damage.) They really make the vehicles feel like natural extensions of you in a way that no TF game-- including WfC or FoC-- has done yet.
-Sideswipe is my go-to-guy for my first playthrough. Speedy, and his swords allow him to have great melee range-- only weakness is his relatively weak long-range weapons. Lotta fun, those swords.
-The music is quite catchy-- a mixture of '80s guitar and techno.

The Bad:
-Chief complaint with the game: It desperately, DESPERATELY needs an instruction booklet. The tutorial bits will cover the major bases, but some of the lesser stuff I was (and in some cases, still am) thoroughly confused about. How do I break the purple shield around stuff-- oh, I need to drive through a special speed-up disc and THEN smash into it? Thanks for telling me. Same with how your combine/create weapons-- I'm still not totally sure how well I'm doing this, other than higher level numbers= better. (But then how can you have higher level numbers with lower rank numbers-- C, D, etc? Still confused, here.) I also spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out how to get on a high roof to grab the Decepticon flag collectibles-- since that was how you grabbed the Kremzeek collectibles-- only to accidentally find out you're supposed to shoot the flags to "collect" them, instead. I also was very thorough on the first chapter and still managed to miss two full missions, which I found out about only on the chapter summary page-- map markers for those would've been nice!
-The camera doesn't automatically orient itself behind you when you're in vehicle mode, and I've tried a couple different setting configurations. This usually isn't an issue since you're normally using your vehicle mode in short spurts or for a quick second during combat, but during chase sequences this can get EXTREMELY annoying. What should have been a cool chase after Megatron on Long Haul turned to frustration as the camera (and thus the controls) kept moving around as I attempted to catch up to them.
-Starscream's VA is awful. Do your best whiny Starscream impression-- yes, you. That's about how good it is.
-I think this is the first TF game I'm not going to be able to platinum. Getting an S rank on anything-- even on the Easy ("Scout") mode that I'm on right now-- is almost impossible for me, at least at this stage, and to get all the trophies you need to get an S rank on EVERYTHING on the HARDER difficulties (and you can't re-try a mission after you finish it without restarting the entire game, and there's the aforementioned issue with finding some of the missions in the first place). Yeah, Platinum just ain't gonna happen for me on this one.

So, a pretty fun game, with a couple of really odd boneheaded quirks here and there that slightly tarnish its playability/difficulty, especially at the beginning when you're learning everything. Recommended, though probably after someone sets up a good thorough guide for it so you can look up what you don't understand.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Beat the campaign (on Easy; w/ Sideswipe):

*MODERATE SPOILERS*

7 Chapters total, though the last three or four are considerably more linear & shorter than the first couple.

Also, according to my statistics, there were a total of 39 bosses in the game. Wooo.

I can definitely see why Hasbro considered this their "Combiner Wars" game; you only actually fight Devastator and Menasor, but all the 2015 Combiner Wars gestalts make at least a cursory background appearance in this game, even Optimus Maximus. Also, although only Motormaster of the individual Stunticons transforms, Offroad noticeably makes up one of Menasor's legs.

There will almost certainly be a sequel to this. The entire ending was almost completely a setup for the "fallout" from revelations in this game that came from the little hidden datapads you pick up throughout the game and the Proudstar, Nova Prime's ship. (Nova Prime wakes up at the very end of the game. Design is a carbon-copy of his IDW version.)

So... Nova will almost certainly be the Big Bad in the next game. Also, being able to play as Optimus Maximus (or any combiner) would be incredibly awesome and a great way to "ante up" the combat from the first one, particularly if you have to fight a Titan.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Oh, yeah. Playing as combiners against titans would be amazing. Especially if they could separate mid attack for crazy combos!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 am

Yeah, I don't know if you're read the Combiner Wars comics-- and it's admittedly hard to make out sometimes because of Ramondelli's questionable art-- but they do just that in the comics. Superion literally splits apart his head and chest to dodge an attack from Menasor, for example, and more than once Defensor launches one of his arms as a projectile; once he even converts one of his feet into a fist, doing an "uppercut" with it.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Oof. A tip that will save you a lot of frustration if you plan on playing this game on any difficulty besides Easy:

--Make sure you level up Wheeljack's Endurance stat as soon as possible, even if you aren't playing as him.

I'm currently playing through the game on "Commander" (Hard, though there's two more difficulty settings above this-- which there's no way I'm playing, Hard is seriously getting not fun in these last few chapters), and there are two different times you protect Wheeljack as he fixes something. No matter how well I did, Wheeljack would go down after 2 or 3 hits, and it was driving me nuts. Finally I quit and, on a whim, sold a bunch of my weapons and leveled Wheeljack's health-related stats even though I hadn't played as him, and it worked. So, even though I haven't played as him yet, the game takes your game's Wheeljack stats and applies it to him when you're playing at someone else. Which can make a non-leveled Wheeljack basically impossible to successfully defend on higher difficulties. :madest:
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Oh jeez! It's Keep Ratchet Alive all over again!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:08 pm

Kind of. They're shorter than that part in WfC, but it's more intense with more enemies at once. Again, if you play through the game on "Scout" (Easy), there shouldn't be an issue anyways. "Warrior" (Medium) it got a bit annoying, but after a couple of tries I got it. "Commander" (Hard) is just insane, you HAVE to upgrade Wheeljack's stats or he'll just die before even the first wave of enemies is destroyed. (And there's two MORE difficulties above that one, "Magnus" and "Prime"! I can't even imagine how difficult those are, with much effort I beat Commander difficulty last night and it's back down to Warrior for me as I go through next with Grimlock.)

Oh, and FYI after looking online, if you're playing as Wheeljack apparently Bumblebee takes his place as the guy you need to protect during those sequences, so there's that to keep in mind as well.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Interesting.

I bet the hight difficulty gets into one-hit-kill stuff with that.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Posting this here because Soundwave's fight music is far too awesome to only listen to it when you're trying to concentrate on offing him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GngjxIXss&index=40&list=PLA5oACRCDKCO7hhydzx0fVhhnQ1Tq7eB3

(It lasts surprisingly long before it starts to completely repeat-- ~3 minutes.)
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:48 am

I've posted my final, in-depth review of Transformers: Devastation on my website:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/bbfortress/tfdevastation.html
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Matrix3 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Beat the game last week. I loved the art style, game play and the fact they brought some of the original cast back. The only thing I disliked was the camera control as I found myself in tough spots due to it in later boss fights such as Starscream's final boss fight. Blasted thing made me get into tight spots due to it.
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Return to The Arcade