What You're Playing Now 2

Let's play a game!

Re: What You're Playing Now 2

Postby Beastbot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:32 am

Platinumed Toy Story 3, now on the PS3 I'm playing a downloadable game called Dragon Fantasy: Book II. A pixelated, retro nod to old JRPGs past with a bit of humor. The story continues from Book I, but the combat has changed a bit-- it's now more like Chrono Trigger than Dragon Quest, if that helps. It's more tactical now, I like it-- though it is a bit glitchy in places.
Last updated March 5th
Current Transformers Total: 4,549
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Platinumed Dragon Fantasy Book II, I'm now playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) on the PS3. I love that in addition to the usual NFS fast-paced madness, there's different career paths for not only the underground racing circuit guys you usually play as but for the cops trying to catch them too. (Time trials for the cops are BRUTAL, though, as if you knick anything it adds 2-3 seconds to your time. And... it's kinda hard to stay away from other cars on a curvy road going 170+ mph.) Great controls, though, great, fitting music (especially "Bombshock" by Hadouken and "Devil's Music" by the Teddybears), and I love the ability to see the times any of your friends have posted on the various races to give you that extra little incentive to beat them. Lovin' this game so far, despite the occasional difficulty spike.
Last edited by Beastbot on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm almost done with Telltale's Jurassic Park game, honestly these guy should switch to OVAs or something. Their stories are not bad, but the engine is broken and good god, I don't know which button is which! I remember the motions not the color/shape!

Also been peppering that with Nobynobyboy. Which has no plot and is all kinds of weird.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Mon May 04, 2015 2:20 pm

After I beat Hot Pursuit, I played through a great (but very short-- took me about 4-5 hours to play through completely) game called Thomas Was Alone. A nice, minimalist puzzle-platformer that actually makes you care about your little rectangular characters. The developer commentary is also very useful for those who are into game design.
Now on the PS3 I'm playing Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet. It's okay; not as great as I thought it'd be. The controls are clunky, the graphics are definitely PS2-era and a lot of the deaths are cheap, though some of the dialogue is pretty funny. I liked the original SHS game better.

On the 3DS I'm playing that handheld's version of Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark. As opposed to the main consoles' using High Moon's gameplay and engine, this version is a turn-based strategy game, with some minor "Hit A now!" bits during the 3-D battle scenes, sort of like Paper Mario's battles. It's quite well-done, and definitely a hidden gem; along with the original TF1 movie game, I'd say that this is one of the few times a handheld version of a game is better than the "main" version. I'm quite liking this one.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Tue May 12, 2015 11:50 pm

Now on the PS3 I'm playing Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, another in a series of (IMO) second-only-to-Mario-Golf games. Quite liking the course setups, though occasionally the VS. opponents seem a bit TOO unnaturally good. Plenty of different ways to play, and lots of "challenges" you can attempt, too-- there's a lot of play value in this game.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Wed May 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Playing Ni No Kuni something about a white witch. It's a game partly developed by Studio Ghibli. It's kind of a cross between Pokémon and The Legend of Zelda, but with a the love, imagination, and beauty of a Ghibli film. (Even has some animated sequences!) Really enjoying it, some aspects are designed for kids, like the star on the map that clearly tells you where to go, but you can turn it off. And the characters will blatantly tell you what to do sometimes. Still magnificent game.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 pm

In your opinion, is it difficult? I've actually thought about getting that game, but I've heard from some reviews that it gets really darned hard.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Wed May 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Really? I don't think so... I mean sometimes you have to grind a little, but if you fight almost every monster that runs at you and ignore the one that run away, and keep your creatures well armed, it's not hard at all. Then again, I'm not done with it.

I'll put it this way, there's only one thing I had to look up and it was a side quest.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Thu May 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Huh, okay. If I see it for a good price I'll probably pick it up sometime, then.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Fri May 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Posting this here since Transypoo and me have both played at least 1 game in the series:

Costume Quest is getting a cartoon, from the makers of Adventure Time! Woo!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/15/8612095/costume-quest-cartoon-frederator
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Transypoo » Fri May 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Cool!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Beastbot » Thu May 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Now on the PS3 I'm playing LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, based off the CN cartoon. Usual LEGO game collect-a-thon interspersed with combat, which is always fun, and I love the massive scale of the battles (nearly a hundred different droids on the screen at the same time, along w/ vehicles and bases in some levels for a light "RTS" feel). Plus switching not just between characters, but characters in different locations for some levels is pretty awesome. That said, I never really watched The Clone Wars cartoon, so with all the pantomiming going on (LEGO games didn't have English voiceovers yet when this game came out in 2011), I honestly don't know what the story is half the time. But still fun to play!
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Matrix3 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Being playing MK X and Destiny which is one of the reasons I am not here a lot.
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Postby Beastbot » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:05 am

Now on the PS3 I'm playing a downloadable game I got for free with my PS Plus subscription last year-- Vessel. It's a pretty interesting puzzle-platformer game involving using "essence seeds" of these artificial creatures called Floros, which can form out of many different liquids (water, lava, liquids that when combined explode) and can be assigned one of several different behaviors. It's very intriguing and a nice premise, though the puzzles seem to be just a bit above my learning curve-- I tend to have to look up ~60% of them so far.

On the 3DS I've moved onto Mario Kart 7. It's definitely a Mario Kart game-- i.e., well-designed tracks and good fun. I love the ability to fly and go underwater with your vehicle, offers a little bit of something new on a tried-'n-true formula.
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Beastbot » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:57 am

Taking a break from the PS3 and am now on the PC, playing The Banner Saga. It's a pretty unique game, crossing turn-based strategy combat with a bit of more involved "Oregon Trail"-style traveling. Some of the mechanics take a bit of getting used to, but it's fun so far. Could've used a bit more music, though...
Last updated March 5th
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

PreviousNext

Return to The Arcade