Transformers 3 news topic

Post about your favorite movies and shows here!

Re: Transformers 3 news topic

Postby Beastbot » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:26 am

Random thoughts:

I loved it, except for perhaps 10 minutes or so of awkward comedy involving John Malkovich's part and... whoever that weird Japanese guy was. Those parts weren't funny at all, just awkward and... I didn't know WHAT the heck they were going for. One of the few movies that uses 3D effectively, and the last 2/3rds were pure awesomeness. I love Optimus' ruthlessness-- these Decepticons are mass murderers. You don't leave them alone because they threaten a snow tiger (sorry, I HATED those bits in Beast Wars). You kill them dead, and you do it now. (And this is coming from a Decepticon fan.) Having a hero (even a fictitious one) who unapologetically kills his opponents and makes sure there's nothing left of them for other Decepticons to salvage is incredibly refreshing in a time when far too many people treat mass-murdering terrorists with kid gloves.

Shockwave was probably my biggest disappointment with the film. Perhaps the prelude comics had built him up to much, but I was expecting him to be like his G1 version but more bloodthirsty, plus he was my favorite G1 character so I was looking forward to seeing that translated to the big screen. And to at LEAST kill 1 Autobot, if not more before he went down. Instead he stood around, looking menacing, and only said one line in English ("Optimus"), and got killed roughly as easily as any other Decepticon. His drill monster was way more awesome than he was.

Action scenes were incredible-- that particular bit where they jump out of the window of the slanted building, slide down it for a while, and then blast the windows ahead of them to fall back into another floor was simply ingenious.

Laserbeak is creepy as HELL. Loved him-- except for his ability to transform into utterly anything in an entirely unconvincing manner, but that was small beans frankly.

Barricade was back, YEAH!

Loved the Sentinel Prime betrayal-- really nice character, even if he killed my favorite movie Autobot (Ironhide), but at least that gave his betrayal a lot more oomph. Wheelie and Brains were also great. Wreckers were fun as background characters.

Paramount and/or car companies pulling their weight and calling Mirage "Dino" and Wheeljack "Q" ticked me off, especially since those two suck as Transformer names. Also would've liked a tad more screentime for Wheeljack, though I understand you need a buncha new characters each movie for the toyline and it's expensive to keep them onscreen.

Also didn't like the complete ignoring of Skids and Mudflap. I liked 'em because few things are inherently funnier to me than people acting "gangsta", but I understand a lot of people didn't. But just because you don't like something doesn't mean you ignore it. At least have them in the background in a few scenes or something, especially since we saw in leaked pictures their cars were already done up. Still, those same two voice actors also got to voice the back-and-forth duo of Wheelie and Brains.

Best quote of the film?
Megatron: "After all, who would you be without me?"
Optimus: *faceplate down, assumes battle-ready stance* "Let's find out."

9.5/10, easily. With this definitive of an ending though, I sincerely hope that if there IS a TF4, it's a prequel or summat like that (since I doubt they'll introduce an entirely new, non-big-name TF villain and continue to keep Megatron et al. dead-- which they really should be now.)
Last updated July 14th
Current Transformers Total: 4,192
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Skids » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 am

I rather enjoyed how Shockwave was a red herring for the real villain of the piece. His role as silent enforcer was also neat; you never really knew when he would be around or what he was thinking; made him scary in a movie with 2 villains who were louder and at each other's throats. It would be fun to imagine Sentinel getting rid of Megs and then Shockers killing Sentinel and taking command.

Laserbeak being able to turn into anything was for me terrifying; he could appear anywhere...and heck yeah on his talking, that amped up the scariness. "Pleasure working with you..." Now I wish Ravage had talked. I jumped a little when Sam's computer transformed, but it was only Brains.

But yeah, if they want to continue (keep Bay as producer at least), they need new villains; the entirety of Decepticon high command is dead. Sentinel did show that you can have a compelling new villain; Megs actually sat much of this one out.

Maybe they could have something like the G2 Empire show up, leading to a bot/con alliance.

Oh...it was also great to finally have Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave and Laserbeak together in one place; classic Con grouping.
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Transypoo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 pm

They could also bring in Galvatron. And-AND they showed that that can show a planet scaled thing in the movies, so they could always haule out the big guns and use th' ol' Chaos Bringer himself.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Having now seen Super 8, I now want Spielberg and Abrams to reboot the franchise; that movie has blasts that rival the best Baysplosions!

The train crash alone is the kind of stuff Bay sees in his dreams!

I could swear that the Twins were at the end of the convoy of Autobots pulling into base at the beginning.
(By the way, before the Twins were cut from the film, Sentinel was to gun them down, too. It's in the junior novelization. That would have been cheap, though, like killing Daniel and Wheelie in that Botcon comic). Plus, killing kids? Sentinel was enough of a creep for shooting his bodyguard in the back!

Plus, he would have committed a hate crime. :smile2:
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Loved, loved, LOVED it. I have to agree it woulda been nice if Shockwave had done more/actually done something but there was definitely plenty of other things going on to make up for it. Can't wait for the home release... My disc of it will get worn out so fast. lol

OH! & the new girl DEFINITELY is better at the job than Megan Fox. I kept waiting for Mikaela to just die already. I wanna see this new girl in more roles now.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 pm

You know...something I'd been trying to put my finger on. Sam and Carly had Mikaela's dog. The credits even credit him as "Bones the Mastiff". I know it's an artifact of the part being written for Megan Fox (as is the fact that Carly was working on restoring cars, which would have worked with Mikaela's background; that said, I like Carly way WAYYYYYY better), but it ends up being just hilarious! Mikaela not only left Sam, but her DOG. Now THAT is cold!

Also, did anyone catch the cameo from Payload, the armored car toy from the first movie? He's the truck seen transporting the space bridge pillars in the city, after the 'Cons take over.

I also like that one of the Long Haul-type Constructicons scanned a garbage truck on arriving. Garbage truck, dump truck, either mode works with that body type.
Skids

Postby Skids » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 pm

http://tformers.com/transformers-michae ... /news.html
This is cool..Bay delivers under budget by recycling footage (if you got it, use it)!
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeah, that was the scene where I noticed the cars weren't moving quite right.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 pm

http://conceptartworld.com/?p=8388
The worm thing is named Colossus! Also, "Igor" is Undermine. You can see how he is mostly made up of (a) Long Haul's head.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:45 am

Nice!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 pm

That's weird, it seems all the pics were deleted (including thumbnails) yet the page is still there. O_o:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, I get that too, maybe the suits had him take it down?
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:26 am

Dammit Simmons...
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Matrix3 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:29 pm

I tend to go for a movie I liked once the dvd is out but this time I am not sure. I say this becuase the movie has no extras which I like them to have. However I have heard that there is going to be a collector's edition in November which might have the extras for the 3rd movie. Of course if I do get the collector's edition I'll have to get rid of the copies of the fist 2 movies.
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

PreviousNext

Return to The Theater