Godzilla-a-day

Post about your favorite movies and shows here!

Postby Transypoo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Day:14

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Well, this is the end of the second era of Godzilla movies, the end of this series.

The island that li'l G and Big G once lived on apparently has disappeared. Li'l G is presumed dead by the son of the adopted son of Dr. "2 million years" Yamane. What's cool is that the woman that played Dr. Yamane's daughter appears in the movie, so it literally ties into the first film.

A different scientist has invented a slightly different version of Dr. Serizawa's Oxygen Destroyer, but the new guy's trying to find more useful and less destructive ways of using it.

When Godzilla makes his appearance he's... well...in a bad way. Apparently his internal reactor is dying and so he's overheating, and according to the characters in the movie, he's going to explode taking the earth with him. But after the micro-oxygen's used to come up with a new freezing weapon they use it to cool Godzilla down so that he won't explode, he'll just melt and burn a hole down to the center of the planet. YAY! ... no wait!

Meanwhile while digging a tunnel under Tokyo bay something strange happens, and the same new Scientist comes in and takes some earth samples. And while on a date with the sister of the son of the adopted son of Dr. '2 million years' he tells her that the soil had zero oxygen in it just like in the Precambrian. Then apparently life is found in one of the samples, but it escapes and goes to the nearest Aquarium. (To eat fish?) Then using some weird computer technology then manage to make a blur on the screen into a 3D model of the creature... because you can totally do that.

So, then the tiny creatures turn into man-sized crab monsters and start playing out scenes from Jurassic Park, to the point that one attacks a the reporter girl (the sister of the son of the adopted son of Dr. '2 million years') in a car and flips it over a couple of times. These things also have Alien jaws. The military comes in and starts blasting the heck out of these things until they all fuse together to form a Big ol' version of the crabs. Then Li'l G, now Godzilla Jr., comes into town and start to fight Destoroyah but the monster is too much for Jr. but he still gets in a few good shots. Desto- transforms into a flying form and flies off.

The military comes up with a plan to defeat Burning Godzilla with Destoroyah's Oxygen Destroyer breath. So, they lure Godzilla Jr to Tokyo Destoroyah shows up first and beats the ever lovin' snot outta the little guy. The Godzilla shows up burning with hatred at its possibly dead son, and just burning. Followed by a spectacular battle in which Destoroyah is beaten... by the humans. Yup you heard me, the human took the bad guy down. Godzilla, you see, was too busy dying. SO they freeze Godzilla in the nick of time and his skin peels of as he falls down dead.

Then Godzilla Jr rises up with a full back of spines and gives out a proper Godzilla roar! Thus the legend continues!

I give this movie a: :happy4:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Day: 15

Godzilla (1998)

Ah, the controversial American Godzilla move. Most everyone you mention it too will tell you it sucks, Godzilla fans will go into a blinding rage. Me? I like it. I've always liked it. Now, I'll tell you what, out side of Godzilla fiction, it's a good giant monster movie. With in Godzilla fiction, the movie says it itself, mythical sea-dragon 'Gojira,' was misinterpreted as 'Godzilla' and given that name. The Japanese monster, Gojira. The american monster, Godzilla. Toho calls it 'Zilla.'

The fundimental difference between the Gojira and Godzilla is that Gojira is an irradiated modern day descendant of the dinosaurs. Godzilla is an irradiated Marine Iguana. Two very different creatures.

The opening of the movie says as much. Rather hints at it by showing nuclear tests and Iguanas doing stuff.

Then we go to a Japanese fishing boat, mirroring the original Gojira movie nicely, although we get to sea a lot more of the monster here.

Next we get to meet the science character (there's always one) Nick Tatopolis. Who as we find out studies irradiated worms. Who've grown massive in size. He's pulled off this project and brought to Panama to study a new irradiated animal. And we see some massive foot prints crossing the land. Much like in Gojira.

Nick then meets the rest of his team including a paleontologist who makes some reference to a T-rex and spends the rest of the movie trying to get into Nick's pants.

Godzilla finally makes it to New York for some reason, apparently to lay eggs, because New York is 'perfect'. Oh really? The thing swam across the Pacific, walked over Panama and swam up the US coast to get to an island with a city on it... a cold city, in the middle of a rain storm... perfect. Why not San Francisco? It's almost an island, water on all around it, warmer. OR Japan? Lots of cities to pick from there! More room lay eggs and breed, won't get so crowded so fast. But I digress.

So, Nick is reunited with his college sweetie, little miss wanna be reporter. And she instantly betrays him causing him to be fired. Yay! But get gets a new job with the French secret service. I think this is why most people don't like the movie. It shows the French as competent bad-asses. And coffee lovers who think American coffee sucks. (Which the French do) Now, I find this, being French, hilarious. Also a lot of the funnies jokes are one liners in French. So there's that too. They put some subtitles for important lines, but there a few jokes they figured were just for the French.

Another major difference between the two Godzillai is that Gojira always goes towards the thing that is trying to kill him and destroys it, while Godzilla at one point looks out a the bait and then sees all the tanks and soldiers and turns and walks away and is then chased by helicopters. Another difference, that makes these 'shooting missile' scenes more interesting is that we're frequently shown the humans inside. There one pilot who makes a few jokes before getting eaten. His name was T-bone. Do we know anything about the jet pilots that are nuked by Gojira? No. So its relatively uninteresting.

Godzilla is at one point attacked by two submarines and blasted, and dies. Then there's a whole fight with the thousands of babies Godzilla layed in Madison Square Garden, that's some what reminiscent of the Kitchen/Raptors scene from Jurassic Park. (If you're going to steal, steal from the best.)

Finally the babies are killed by missiles. The Godzilla returns, but is it the same Zilla? Do we really know that? Seems to me Nick pulls a lot of information out of his... thin air. Thin Air.

He seems to decide that Godzilla is Asexual because the lack of a mate, but could it be that there are a mating pair and they just look the same? This could be Mama who stayed with the nest and was tired from all the egg laying. The one that stayed underground could have been the Female and the one running through building could have been the male... oh well, now it's personal, unlike in a lot of Godzilla movies where Zilla is unaware that humans even exist, this one is specifically after our heros.

So they lure it to the Brooklyn bridge where it is killed by the same jets used to kill its babies. It dies and the mysterious Frenchman walks off into the darkness.

So, I like this movie, I like the monster. I'm even okay with the unrealisticness of the explanation of why it goes to NY. (How did it know to go there?)

I give this movie a: :happy3:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:55 am

Day: 16

Godzilla 2000 (1999)

Japan's answer to the american Godzilla movie. This is supposed to be a new continuity from the previous series, I guess its supposed to follow up on Gojira, but its weird in that Godzilla just is in this movie. No explanation as to how a new Godzilla showed up.

Bu I have an explanation. Baby Godzilla. Baby Godzilla took its father's place at the end of the last (Japanese) movie, right? It was the first time a Zilla wasn't just straight up grey. Bam. New Godzilla.

This movie was really trying to show up Tristar as to how a Godzilla movie should be made. While not having nearly as large a budget. The action is much more actiony and the monsters move a lot more than previously. The missile-play which seems to be unavoidable is even more enjoyable with chunks of Zilla flesh going flying when ever he's hit.

So, Godzilla actually shows up right away, which is cool, and we're introduced to the protagonists right off the bat. Godzilla kills a power-plant. Then the movie introduces some bad guys (humans) and gets us to actually know our heros, which always seems like a good idea.

There's a mysterious meteorite under... the water some place that's been there for 60-70 million years. (Are they implying this thing killed the dinosaurs?) As they try to bring it to the surface... because they can apparently, it rises of its own volition and waits around until sunrise to stand up on end. Then when Godzilla rides into town and its being shot at the meteorite rises into the air and flies over to Godzilla and shoots him, knocking him back. Godzilla blasts it revealing a silver thing under the rock.

Then the next morning the thing sheds the rock and flies across Tokyo and hacks into computers to learn about our world. IT show most interest in Godzilla, and the humans try to kill the flying saucer in vain.

Godzilla shows up again and fights the saucer but is knocked through a building. The saucer then sucks out this stuff the two scientist discovered earlier, which they called 'regenerator G-1, which is the secret to Godzilla's invulnerability. It then builds a body out of the stuff which looks a lot like a War of the Worlds tripod, but it has many more feet. But before it can do anything it starts to mutate and falls over. Godzilla gets up again and destroys the saucer. The new monster (Seriously, this is the third or so monster to be made of Godzilla's DNA!) gets up and does battle. And tries to eat Godzilla again and again. Then Godzilla just figures, if you can't beat them and dives into the monster's mouth. It mutates further and starts to grow Godzilla spines and turn green. Then Godzilla blasts it with his atomic breath blowing it up from the inside out.

The entire cast which has gathered up top a building looks on in horror as Godzilla moves to wards them. The villain refuses to move and screams out Godzilla's name and is crushed. Then Godzilla storms off.

Then a absolute favorite moment of mine happens. A human contemplates: "Why do you suppose Godzilla saves us time and time again?"

"Maybe its because there's a little Godzilla in us all..." And Godzilla nukes the city! The End!

So, while the compositing and CG were not as well done as Tristar's Godzilla movie, it was much better than previous attempts, and heck they were stretching their creative limbs. I do whish the continuity of this movie was a little better stated, but still an awesome stand alone movie if nothing else.

I give this movie a: :happy4:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:15 am

Day: 17

Godzilla vs Megaguirus (2000)

This movie opens with the mother of all retcons. A voice over tells us about how Godzilla first attacked in the 1950's they shows scenes of the original Gojira, but with the new Godzilla in its place, as if to say "Godzilla always looked like this!" It did not die at the end of the movie apparently and seems to be the same monster the whole time. Then they mention that in 1966 when Japan built its first nuclear power plant Godzilla attacked it, and Japan moved it capital to Osaka and relied heavily on alternative power sources, but it was never quite as good, then they discovered plasma power in 1996, only for Godzilla to return. We meet a female soldier who really wants Godzilla dead, then her commanding officer dies trying to save her and she decides its her life mission to avenge his death.

Then we move on to Baseball Scientist. So named because he's always wearing a baseball jersey. (Do they have jerseys in baseball?) He's showing some kids a trick where he lays food out on a table, places a spoon and a bowl on top and it all appears in the spoon cooked. Major Avenger comes in and shows the kids that they've been tricked because the bowl is actually a microwave and there are tiny robots that move the food into place. The kids leave disappointed. Hey! That's still pretty cool! Can you imagine the amount of time and effort that was put into that trick? Tiny robots! C'mon! that's pretty cool!

Well, Major Avenger is recruiting Baseball into G-grasper. ... G-grasper?... Godzilla grasper?.... oookay then. She gives him the tour and we're introduced to the latest weapon they're working on... A BLACK HOLE CANNON! THE HECK!?!?!?!

A BLACK HOLE CANNON! THAT IS WAAAY WORSE THAN GODZILLA!!!!

So, now a kid decided to take his bug collection for a walk and spots a blockade and skirts around it into the woods, 'cause this kid is a frikkin' genius!

So next we watch the test of the BLACK HOLE CANNON!!! It consumes a building leaving a huge crater. The kid is shocked and amazed! But wait what's this there seems to be a strange atmospheric disturbance. What is it? Oh, it's just a wormhole in time and space, yaawn, well, pack up boyes we're going home! No seriously, they did think this was interesting at all, they just leave. !!! Meanwhile they find the kid tell him to never tell anyone and let him leave.

"Hey, what about the hole in time?"

"Eh, leave it, it'll be there tomorrow. Get it? It's a hole in time! Ha Ha Ha!"

So the kid can't sleep presumably because of the unbearable guilt of keeping a secret from his parents... err... mother. His father's always 'away' or 'at work'. (Gosh it's a wonder this kid isn't having delusions about Manilla his sexy... err. I mean father figure... I mean... friend... yeah.. friend.) (That was a Freud joke by-the-by.)

So, as this boy is not sleeping, he sees a huge shadow fly over his window and, like any good boy-adventurer, he runs after it. Alone, at night, in the woods. It turns out the giant bug came through THE GIANT HOLE IN TIME-SPACE!!!! C'mon! The kid finds an egg.

Now apparently the kid and his mother (and non existent father) have moved to Tokyo. (I'd venture to guess so the boy won't go sauntering off into the woods at all hours.) The boy carrying even more guilt because of his secret egg. So he decided to dispose of the egg, he puts it in a bag and takes it down to the garbage area, but is told by a woman that there's no garbage pickup today and he'll have to bring it back tomorrow... so he dumps it in a storm drain. Frikkin' genius.

Well, predictably things go bad, and a few days later (after the trash pickup) a young, happy, doomed couple are walking around town, they decide to get drinks and the girl goes off to get the drink as the guy puts on headphones and wanders into a dark, safe, alley. The guy is attacked by a large bug! (If you know your Godzilla monsters you'll know this is an updated version of the semi-goofy looking bugs from Rodan!) It's a very Spielbergian moment. Then when the girl shows up, she only finds the slimy headphones, and she too is eaten. I enjoy that the bugs spit their digestive fluids on its food before pulling them in. The bug then crawls up a wall and sheds it shell and becomes a dragon fly.

The boy once again is awake and staring out across the city. This boy never sleeps. He sees this dragon fly as it buzzes around the city.

Then in... G-grasper... HQ they've gotten a huge heat signature out at sea, it seems Godzilla blasted one of the bugs. So there's some character development between Baseball and Avenger. He's built her a tracking bullet. So just in case you get lost just shoot the bullet... and they'll know where the bullet is miles away.

So they fly out to where the heat signature is and find a dead bug! Yay! They take some samples and suddenly GODZILLA! Swimming! Avenger swims over and grabs onto Godzilla in the first ever human/Godzilla contact that I think there's ever been. It's a pretty cool moment. So her radiation sensors go insane, naturally, and she shoots the tracer bullet into one of Godzilla's spines. Oh, side note, I like that this suit's spines don't flop about, they stay stationary straight back. It adds to the realism, I think.

So, Tokyo's flooded because, the egg produces water apparently. (Jesus egg! Da-da-daaaah!) And the bugs have been assembling into a swarm, just as a scientist predicted a scene earlier. Apparently this species is in books and such as is relatively well known. Its from a time in the past when there were giant bugs, but there was also like 90% oxygen in the atmosphere. So, right.

As Godzilla steps onto dry land the bugs swarm him and begin to suck out his energy through their... stingers... right. So Godzilla manages to blast them and kill a good chunk of them and then the humans, who have launched their BLACK HOLE CANNON! into space, shoot a BLACK HOLE from orbit to kill Godzilla. But they missed and Godzilla rises from the ground and is angry.

So some of the bugs go back to Tokyo dive under water and, useing their stingers, transfer the energy they collected to their 'queen.' (As stated later in the movie) So the giant bug turns into Megaguirus. You remember Battra? Mothra's antithesis? This guy's Battra but less colorful. Nothing new. And I discovered why I don't like Godzilla's flying-bug nemesisses. They don't do much. They just flap their wing and zoom about. It's pretty dull action wise. This guy does manage to keep things interesting by stabbing Godzilla in the stomach several times and getting bits of him self cut off. Oh, one thing that also bugs me about flying Godzilla monsters is the slow flapping speed. I don't thing that much weight could stay in the air with so little slapping, it's one thing for a giant moth, but this is a dragonfly thing, so it should have a faster rate, but no. It does flap it wings super fast... as an attack. Wow! ....

So, Godzilla kills the bug then destroys the science center because it had an off line plasma reactor. Then the heros fire the BLACK HOLE CANNON at Godzilla as it's falling through the atmosphere and just get a shot off as it denigrates. What happens next is a little hazy. The BLACK HOLE is descending upon Godzilla, he fires his atomic beam up at it there's an explosion and... Godzilla appears dead, then moths into the future Avenger recruits Baseball again because there's been some seismic activity. Apparently Godzilla's ESCAPED A BLACK HOLE!!!!!! THE HECK?!?!?

So she pats Baseball on the arm and he cringes, because it was broken earlier, and the movie ends on the awkward note of her apologizing. It stop on a still of her and fades to credits... ouch, hate for a movie to end like that...

After the credits we see the boy returning some bug trays to the science lab at school and then the room shakes and we hear Godzilla's roar... Yeah... BLACK HOLE! There's NO WAY! NOT EVEN WITH PSEUDOSCIENCE! AARRGG!!!

I give this movie a: :confused3:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:35 am

Day: 18

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)

Holy crap! This is an awesome move! Dude!

Okay, so I'll get right into it! It begins with a military school, a general (for lack of a better term) session about how 50 years ago Godzilla attacked Japan, but that something attacked New York recently. So, right off, we know this is a DIRECT sequel to the american Godzilla! How awesome is that? One of the students leans over to his friend and asks if the thing that attacked NY was Godzilla, the other guy then responds "That's what the Americans claim." So now we've established that the thing in NY is not the same monster. This scene also establishes the world. WE know now that A) it follows up on Godzilla and B) the last time Gojira was seen was in 1954!

So what's cool is that the technology is current. No MASERS, no Godzilla piercing missiles. They haven't seen Godzilla since he was killed at the bottom of Tokyo bay. (And yes they bring up his death!)

So, we next meet the heroin of the film, who is a Spunky Female Reporter. She works for a Sightings like show that does 'documentaries' about monsters and ghosts. In this scene she reports on legends of a monster and a college throws a rock into a pool of water to create the effect that the camera just missed something. Some guys come down saying that they don't want their town to be a laughing stalk. But the Reporter convinces them that it'd be good for tourism if people knew about monsters in their town.

Later the town's mayor and his wife or girlfriend, his lady companion are in a car and talking about how he's going to be on TV when some hooligans on bikes show up and surround the car then drive off. Knocking over a stone idol in the process. Then they harass a truck driver and go into a tunnel and are crushed by... the one monster that didn't make it into the title, Baragon! (Who's getting a Ravoltech!)

The military shows up and the news mentions that they've been pulling bodies out of the rubble. The military uses a drilling missile that burrows deep into the ground before exploding. The Truck driver identifies the monster as Godzilla.

Which I really like. They don't know the names of the monsters, or that they even exist. Too often in the old movies they just spout out the names and everyone just happens to know them instantly.

So the Reporter tries to get her long haired boos to let her follow up on the story, especially since she's figured out that the epicenter to a mysterious rash of earthquakes is moving. But he refuses and the Reporter, some guy go out to... Benihana? Soon after they are joined by a more interesting guy (he has glasses!) who presents Reporter with a book about legendary monsters of Japan including Baragon, Mothra, and Ghidorah.

LAter that night she's returned home,drunk, by Glasses and we find out that Reporter is the daughter of the General.

So, another group of rowdy teens (I hate them so) rob a small store and the leader is annoyed by the guard dog, a young Shiba Inu. So, what do they do? They put the dog in a box, crush it with a stone idol they found (Did I mention I hate these kids?) seal up the box, and take it out onto the lake to drown the thing. (I hate these kids.) Luckily for us, a Mothra Larva rises from the sea, eats the kids in the boat and kills the rest. ... Unfortunately the dog still dies.

Reporter and friends go to meet an old man who's a bit dodgy, and say that Godzilla's going to be returning! Oh no! He then tells her that Godzilla is not merely a radioactive monster, but that he represents all the souls killed in "the Pacific conflict." (AKA WW2) And it attacks Japan because the Japanese try to forget the horror of the war. (Deep stuff!) He then tells the legend of the three guardian monsters which were defeated by man, but were then worshiped as gods and are sleeping, and healing until such a time as they are needed. (Ghidorah is mentioned as having seven heads!) The Reporter and friends go to the Ghidorah shrine and find an amulet.

MEanwhile a storm ravages a near by island and the government suspects Godzilla, because we saw his foot crush a building, I guess. Reporter goes to her dad and tell him of the legend of the monsters. He doesn't dismiss this right off the bat because her reveals that he was a little boy during the first Godzilla attack and that his parents died during this attack. (Jeez!)

So, Baragon rises ot of the ground and makes a B-line to someplace. Then Godzilla rises from the sea and starts towards Baragon. Now, what's cool, is that this is not the standard Godzilla 2000 look, but a new one that looks more like the original. So this movie instead of retconing the new Godzilla into the original move, lets that movie be and says, our Godzilla needs to change to fit it. So, Godzilla and Baragon meet and fight. Oh, the news and villagers were still calling Baragon 'Godzilla' up until Godzilla arrived, then Baragon was referred to as 'Red Godzilla.' And man is it a fight. It ends with Baragon being disintegrated by Godzilla's atomic breath. (Dang!)

So our Reporter was in a building that was smashed during he fight and she ends up in a makeshift hospital that echos the original move quite eerily. She then buys a bike and pedals after Godzilla while sending live feeds to her network. And the military try to shoot down Godzilla. But this missile-play is actually quite exciting! Godzilla then toasts the jets and one of them goes crashing into a house!

Back at lake-'o-puppy-death, a massive cocoon has appeared in the lake and it starts to open revealing Mothra! Mothra flies to Tokyo to confront Godzilla. They fight while Ghidorah rises from its icy tomb. And joins in the fight. But Ghidorah is swiftly KOed. And as Godzilla is about to nuke Ghidorah, Mothra jumps in the way of the beam and is knocked through a building. Godzilla then is hit with three drill missiles which are completely ineffective. He then blasts the military away except for one boat which he missed because Mothra rises into the air on fire! (Awesome! Mothra rocks now!)

But she's swiftly dealt with and turns into a cloud of golden sparklies. The sparkles float over and rejuvenate Ghidorah who takes to the air, swirling with sparklies and zaps 'zilla with its eletro-breath, leaving a open wound in Godzilla's neck. Godzilla rushes into his happy place. (The sea) and Ghidorah follows! They tussle under the bay and the General decides to take a mini sub with two drillers and fire them into Godzilla's neck wound. The Reporter, meanwhile, reports on the scene in the observation deck of a bridge.

So, the General drives over and fires a missile at Godzilla, who sees it coming and moves Ghidorah into its path. And Ghidora's down again! But in the meantime the bridge collapses and the Reporter begins to fall but is saved by Glasses but the amulet they found falls out of his pocket and hit Ghidorag on the head who them blows bubbles softening the landing of Glasses and Reporter... (Some one check the physics on that?)

So Ghidora revived and empowered again takes to the air and fires electric beams at Godzilla who blasts Ghidorah into atoms. (There's no stopping this guy!) The General swims his sub into Godzilla's mouth and Godzilla swallows him whole. Once inside Godzilla's body he has a psychic moment with his uncontious daughter and then shoots the driller missile through Godzilla's neck wound! (Ouch!)

Godzilla then attempts to use his atomic breath on Reporter but it comesout of his neck hole and he falls into the see gushing blood. The n the sub come out Godzilla's neck hole and swims away for dear life. As Godzilla charges up another atomic blast only for it to back fire causing him to explode. The sub surfaces, daddie's okay, happy day! Godzilla's dead and RIP Guardian Monsters.

But what's this? Godzilla's heart beats steadily on the sea floor! (dun dun duuun!)

So, I guess a tiny part of the Original Godzilla survived the Oxygen Destroyer and was regenerating for 50 years. I like it. It ties the Original Godzilla into the American Godzilla and continues the story! But as to why Americans would believe Gojira was just a myth when it really happened... well there's even a Japanese woman in this movie who claims Godzilla's just a myth up until he starts to destroy the store she's in. So I guess, americ didn't really get the news of Godzilla and it's been long enough that the younger people have forgotten about it and think it's just a story.

I give this movie a: :dazed2:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:03 am

Day: 19

Godzilla against Mechagodzilla (2002)

You know what this Godzilla series could really use? A good Retcon! I mean, it hasn't been done in ages and ages! *cries*

So, this Godzilla movie opens with Soldier girl in a maser tank shooting at Godzilla and a jeep fill of men back into her tank and fall down a cliff and is stepped on by Godzilla. She blames herself for their deaths. Which were totally not her fault.

Then the Prime Minister tells us about the history of Japan vs. Giant monsters. Godzilla was the first in 1954, blah blah blah, every movie want to be connected to the first, next! Mothra's rampage in tokyo, and... uhh... Gaira Bigfoot Who's green and.. big... and... why movie? WHY?

So, we know there have been three monster attacks in the past and now a new Godzilla is here to kill everyone!

So in the flash back of the original film, they added a scene where Godzilla is destroyed by the Oxygen Destroyer but his bones done disappear they float to the bottom of the sea.

YAY RETCON!

So the new Prime Minister comes up with the idea a making a robot that can fight Godzilla using a DNA computer using the DNA of the original Godzilla! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!??!?!?!?! So, practically over night they build this thing... the main scientist character's daughter shows no signs of aging. So they, cloned Godzilla cells, made them into a computer, designed, engineered, and built a 60 meter tall robot outfitted with advanced weapon systems, built three control jets all in the space of one year? I call no way! Stop right here!

So, of course the movie keeps going. So, Godzilla shows up again right as they are demonstrating the robot, named Kyru, and not Mechagodzilla at all! So, they send out Kiryu to fight Godzilla. Kiryu fires some missiles and right as they are about to fire its 'fatality' weapon the Absolute Zero Cannon! Godzilla roars and Kiryu has a flash back to being Gojira and the humans loose control! (Now, I joke about this, but this moment was really horrific the first time I saw it!) Godzilla flees into the sea and Kiryu/Gojira starts to blow up Tokyo.

It's like resurrecting your arch nemesis, outfitting him with the latest weapons and letting him loose, it's never a good idea.

So, the Cyborg-Gojira attacks Tokyo until his power runs out. So, they fix the problem. Which is really disapointing, I really wanted/was expecting the ghost of Gojira to rise again and kick Godzilla's butt! It would have been an epic fight! Heck the idea that you saviour could turn on you at any time is also cool.

So there's some human time where soldier girl goes on and on about how no one wanted or loved her as a child, how she has no friends, how blah blah blah. AGNST!

Okay, so the Prime Minister okays Kiryu's use again and it goes out into the field and has its tail handed to it. So, lying face-down and with no power and with the controls broken, Soldier girl hops out of her plane and into the giant robot. You know, that's actually a pretty smart idea, why put the pilots in the huge tin can that going to be tossed around when it'd be much safer else were using remote controls?

So, in the end Kiryu pushes Godzilla out to sea and uses the Subzero whachamacallit leaving Kiryu damaged, and Godzilla with a gaping hole in its chest.

THE END!

Oh, and after the credits the scientist finally gets his date with soldier girl.

I give this movie a: :blank: Cool, but not as exciting and interesting as the last one.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:12 am

Day: 20 (Jeez! Twenty?)

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

But the Japanese behind the english title seems to contain three names, but I guess they wanted to avoid a repeat of Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack's crazy long title.

So, hey, guess what? We're not going to do another retcon! (The Toho executive says.) But we are going to homage the heck out of this movie!

The movie opens with shots of Kiryu still being fixed. Hey, continuity! Woo! And a little explanation as to what happened last time, and how Kiryu's all set to go... but is in fact not at all ready to go... so yeah.

Next we meet the heros, Guy, Kid, and Old-man. So turns out Old-man was the hero of the film Mothra. Yay! And if you remember from last time Mothra was one of the few film actually allowed to live in this particular retcon. So, as this family is relaxing and endearing them selves to the audience the tiny fairy twins show up in costumes very similar to their Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth looks but with out the zany makeup. They tell this group that they need to stop using the bones of Godzilla in their robot. Okay, I guess they built the bones directly into the robot for some reason. So, anyways turns out Guy is an mechanic working on Kiryu. Oh, side note, in the movie they clearly say 'Kiryu' but in the subtitles it says 'Mechagodzilla' or 'MechaG'. So I guess people won't get confused? I dunno.

Well, he's all distracty at work 'cause of the whole 'let the dead rest' thing the twins told him. Then they introduce the new pilots. You'd think, in traditional sequel fashion, the reason to change the cast is because you can't get the same actors to come back. But no, the old pilot's there, she's just being shipped of to America to learn how to... uhh... fight better...

"You're not doing it right! First take a nuke and launch it at your enemy, then launch another one jus' fer fun! Oh, oops, sorry, I mean, launch another one 'cause they ain't dead yet! heh heh heh!"

So, after some words basically transferring old Pilot's anxieties and beliefs about Kiryu onto Guy she disappears, but hesitates as she leaves the movie wondering if she's being payed for the whole movie or just the cameo.

So, Old-guy tries to convince the Prime Minister (played by the same guy) not to use Kiryu in combat and let Mothra take on Godzilla.

But Godzilla's attacked a US sub, and heading for Japan again. Apparently in a B-line to Kiryu. ('Hey, let's build a robot around the bones of Godzilla! It'll be fun!) No wonder Scientist guy isn't in this movie, he was probably executed for gross negligence and treachery!

So, we're told a few more times that they're trying to fix Kiryu but apparently the repair crew is payed by the hour and waist most of the day watching the one guy work. So nothing is really being done.

So, Godzilla shows up and does battle with Mothra. I did like the addition of the PM saying that they're doom if both monsters attack at the same time. Figuring that Mothra attacked Tokyo to get the twins back from some sort of villain in its movie.

So, Godzilla bests Mothra and the humans are forced to send out the unfinished Kiryu... because they never worked on it! And so Godzilla bests that too.

MEanwhile on Mothra island the twins sing 'Mosura' and twin larva are hatched. Oh right, the homages.

So, twin larva, like in Godzilla vs. Mothra, Kiryu sows off a hand spinning attack like in Terror of Mechagodzilla, Kiryu's eye gets damaged like in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, and a dead turtle washes up on shore with Godzilla fight marks which is a stab at Gamera...

So, the twin larva some swimming over to Japan and use their one attack on Godzilla again and again. Silk. Then more silk, and if you think a melee attack is in order, silk.

So also Guy goes rushing out and homages the previous film, crawls into Mechagodzilla's internal pilot station. Of course he's just there to fix it, not pilot. Here's something weird. He goes in, right because this door's okay. He's in there for a few minutes, and when he tries to leave, the door's magically damages trapping him inside.... huh.

Any ways, the larva twins manage to cocoon Godzilla, another homage to Godzilla vs Mothra, and Gojira wakes up within Kiryu and grabs Godzilla and flys off with him, and in flight helps Guy get out... very toughing... AND OUT OF CHARACTER!!!

So everyone lives... yay. Godzilla and Gojira (now dead) are at the bottom of the ocean. (Again, only a matter of time, he LIVES down there!) And the larva head back home...

Wonderful.

Then after the credits we find out that they took some of Godzilla's DNA in 1999 (Zilla? Godzilla 2000?) and are beginning 'Bio-experiments)

No! NO! Nnonononoonononononoonononononononooo! You. are. not. cloning. god. frikkin'. zilla! NO!

I give this movie a: :confused2: for sustained "you lost me..."
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Transypoo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 am

Last Day: 21

Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

You remember when Tim Burton stopped directing Batman Movies and that other gut took over and based the movie off the really campy TV show?

This is like that.

The opening montage of confusion attempts to explain, by flashing years and random footage, that this movie exists in yet another retcon where all the movies happened in the same continuity. Huzza.

Next we get to see the Prime Minister and his.... never mind different characters, well Godzilla is defeated and buried in ice, and I'm so burned out on Godzilla movies, I could just kill the director.

Basically, to tell you the synopsis of this move, go watch the Matrix. Then go watch Independence day, then go play a Godzilla fighting game. Then watch episodes of Ultraman and then go watch some old Godzilla movies.

There, that's the plot of this film. Another way to get you to understand how bad this movie was. They chose to put Manilla in it.

You may not have understood that... They CHOSE to put Manilla in this movie. :confused3: :confused3: :confused3:

WHY?!?!? Why?!!?!? That right there is UHG.

So, this movie is apparently a sequel to Monster Zero. In that the Planet X guys are back, but they suck now. They're interesting costumes are GONE and now they're Sentai villains that, apparently, can't not flip their coats. Also, the main villain guy won't stop calling humans 'cattle' every other line.

Then there's Monster X who looks more like an Ultraman villain than a Godzilla villain, and transforms in the big finale into Monster XII. Apparently giving eleven a total miss. But Monster X2 is just a poorly made Ghidorah costume.

So, a kid and his grandfather, who wasn't given the memo that the futile era was over are the ones who find Manilla, predictably.

I don't even know what to complain about the most! They ruined my favorite alien species, introduced a stupid new monster ripped off every popular American movie in the last few years. And and Manilla!

That's not to say this movie doesn't have some good points. Zilla shows up and is bested by Godzilla rather quickly, which is accurate, I think.

The American guy in the movie, Capt. Gordon has endless action movie one liners. He's pretty entertaining.

And there's a scene were a fat american kid with chocolate all over his face is playing with a bunch of Godzilla toys and throws a Squirtle into the fire. (Which was funny!)

Any ways, I'm burned out on Godzilla movies, I don't care, any more.

I give this movie a: :headdesk
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Re: Godzilla-a-day

Postby Transypoo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:05 am

RENTED: Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (1964)

Maybe it's that I had not watched a Godzilla movie in a while, maybe it's because this is actually a good one, but I enjoyed this film.

Here's the low down, asteroids are crashing to Earth one very mysterious one crashes near a dam in a volcano. In that there's a dam, and a ways off there's a volcano... in which the meteorite crashed. Some semi-goofy scientists are sent to check it out and they mostly watch it from a near by hill as the thing intermittently gives off massive amounts of magnetism. This sub-plot probably only exists to pad the story.

Meanwhile a female reporter with brain waves loud enough, so claim the UFO enthusiasts she doing a report on, scare away flying saucers goes from place to place trying to report the news and keep running into a woman who claims to be from Venus.

ALSO there's a cop who is assigned to be the body guard to a Princess from Selgina. (Just off the coast of Latveria.) But her plane explodes so, with nothing better to do, he goes home for dinner, and tuns out to be the brother of the reporter. (Small world!)

Then there's the princess, he culture is a strange mix of Indian, 16th century England, and Renaissance faire. He's on a jet, a UFO tell her to get off, she does, it explodes. Cop guy takes the rest of the day off. There, done.

So, the Cop wants to watch the news, but his mother and sister, who's a reporter mind you, want to watch a show call "Where are they now?!" Where we meet Mothra's little twin fairy friends! Wee! They mention that even though there were two Mothra larva in the last movie, one died. So, now there's only one. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! The cop brother decided to get his news from some sort of analogue sours. It's kinda like a book only thinner and papery, a News Paper, if you will. Lo and behold the woman from Venus is the alien! Oh my!

So, as the tiny women are about to leave the reporter runs into the Venusian who tells everyone to stay away from the boat because it's in terrible danger. (It's true it runs into Godzilla!)

Well, anyways they all meet up, stuff happens, Godzilla and Rodan take pot shots at one another. The Princess/Venusian prophesies the Coming of King Ghidorah, he emerges shortly thereafter, and blows up stuff.

Mothra then goes to Godzilla and Rodan and asks them to help save the humans (the fairy twins translate.) They refuse Godzilla citing that they bully him so why should he help? (Uhh... maybe if you stopped crushing our cities, dude.) Mothra brings up the point that they all live on the Earth too, and Hero Godzilla is born! Yay! But Godzilla's heart isn't really in it today, he mostly just chucks rocks from a hill top right next to the mat painting. "Eh, here. Whatever, yawn."

So all in all, it was pretty good, and guess what? No military! Woo! An' it's kinda nice to see an in-continuity switch from Villain Godzilla to Godzilla Friend To All Children.

I give this movie a: :happy2:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:44 pm

Freddy Mercury. That is all.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 am

New Purchace:

Godzilla 1984 (1984)

It all opens with a boat out at sea next to a small volcanic island. SURPRISE! It's Godzilla! BAM!

An indeterminate time later a guy is in a boat listening to the radio. The radio gives a news broadcast in the middle of a song. Huh. The news tells us about the missing boat from the beginning of the movie AS the main character finds it. He boards the ship and finds that is if filled with mummies. Begs the question HOW LONG was this ship missing? He then finds a living guy who's passed out. The main guy is then attacked by sea mites the size of small dogs. Turns out it's these things that were turning people into mummies. They kill one of them, and the hang out on the deck of the ship until they are rescued by a helicopter.

Turns out the main guy is a Reporter. Anyways, some stuff happens, they figure out that Godzilla is alive! They seem to indicate that this is the same Godzilla from the first movie, but that one was disintegrated... so... what up?

Boat guy has a sister that works for a scientist and Godzilla expert. Reporter guy reunites the Brother and Sister, only to write a story about it, which angers the Scientist, Brother, and Sister. But that's glossed over as Godzilla kills a Soviet Nuclear Sub to eat its radiation. The USSR and the USA almost go war over this, and Japan says "Clam down, it was Godzilla." Then everyone FREAKS OUT.

The USA and USSR want to drop a nuke on Godzilla. They, really, really, really, want to. SO MUCH. Japan says "NO. Not here, not again, shut up and let us do this, we got an awesome flying tank called the Super X, that'll stop him."

And Godzilla attacks a Nuclear power plant and is distracted by some birds, and wanders off. (I kid you not.) The scientist guy figures out that Godzilla had a 'magnetic spot' like birds, but was mostly drawn to the birds call. He then figures out how to make a tone that will attract Godzilla.

Godzilla attacks Tokyo, and looks TINY really little next to all these sky scrapers. (He's 80 meters in this movie, the original was 60, and in the next movie Godzilla he'll be 100 meters.) Godzilla stumbles around Tokyo, until the Super X shoots him in the mouth with cadmium and Big G falls asleep.

Then the USSR accidentally launches a nuke, the US fires one to stop it, it works, but it wakes up Godzilla, who returns to his rampage.

They use the sound to lure him to a volcano, and he falls in and dies. The End.

So, a decent entry. The suit was fakey looking, but figuring this was the first film after the goof Godzilla era, it's not so bad. It has a cool anti-nuke message, and kept the 'army rolling out' sequence to a minimum.

Over all I give this movie a: :smile:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Matrix3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:13 pm

So I am going to see Shin Godzilla this weekend and I can not wait. Has it really been 12 years since the last one? O_o:
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Postby Transypoo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:44 pm

I know right?!

Yeah, Skids an' I are gunna see Shin on Sunday!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Matrix3 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:18 pm

Saw it but let me tell you that I was unsure if I would like it and thought there would not be many people going to see it. It turned out the opposite as the screening room was almost full and I enjoyed it. :smile: The only thing I will say about it till you guys see it is the movie was subtitled and started right away without any previews which was surprising to me.
Matrix3
Lord of the Wanderers

Postby Transypoo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:53 am

Argh... It was sold out. And I had even thought of getting tickets early... dag it.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

PreviousNext

Return to The Theater