The Thread of Haruhi Suzumiya

Post about your favorite movies and shows here!

Is this awesome?

[Y]
100%
[N]
No votes

Total votes : 2

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am

"Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"? And I don't see how that would be any indication of no second season...
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Nemesis Scourge » Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 am

What I meant by that was that they're placing a few of the new S2 episodes in chronological order with their rebroadcasting of S1 episodes, and not as a complete series itself.
Image Image
Nemesis Scourge
Master of Shadows

Postby Skids » Fri May 22, 2009 8:20 am

Aha...that's very Haruhi. I love this series for gradually filling in the gaps in our knowledge (That we didn't even know existed in some cases).
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Well, long as there's new episodes... And they're dubbed in English. :smile: Have they been dubbed in English yet?
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Nope, they're only just coming out in Japan (This place was the first I heard there WERE new episodes). I'm sure Bandai will be handling the US release, though; should be interesting to see how they go about it.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Well, Scourge tends to be on the up and up of such things. So that makes sense... Regardless, I hope that they get dubbed, instead of like Hell Girl there, where only 1 out of 3 seasons has been dubbed. ;x: (And I haven't seen the live action stuff of yet, if I ever will. So that's not in play here for me... If anyone has any info on a dub of that, though, please, pipe up. :smile2: )
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri May 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Fortunately, only one season of Hell Girl has been dubbed so far simply because that's all of the show that's been released by U.S. companies yet; considering it aired on TV and was generally well-received as a DVD release, I'm sure Funimation is no doubt working on licensing season 2, if they haven't already. As for season three, it only just ended in Japan a few months ago.

We might know as of Anime Expo (Where we will be) if S.2 is coming out anytime soon, since that's when the next year's crop of North American releases begins to be announced. (I'm also waiting for Funi to mention when they'll release Shakugan No Shana season 2 and the Movie; saw 'em on Youtube, loved 'em, want 'em on my shelf/in my DVD player. The hiatus in this case is understandable, though, since they picked the show up from ADV and had to re-release S.1 in a box set first.).

The live-action Hell Girl was pretty lame; I watched the first episode, and although it expanded on the story of the girl who was being bribed somewhat, the horror parts were pretty weak. (Basically, the lead bully/girl's friends' heads fall off in obvious CG, then Hell Girl arrives. None of the other nice creepiness...)
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:41 pm

I may pass on the live action then... And what's Shakugan No Shana?
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri May 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Awesome supernatural combat/adventure series about a secret war that transpires between Crimson Lords/Guze no Tomogara), monsters who come to our world to eat the power of existence of people (In other words, when they eat the people, it's as if they never lived), and Flame Hazes, who form contracts with Crimson Lords who aren't evil, but may be of questionable moral standing, to gain powers to oppose them. Most Flame Hazes are revenge-driven, but not all.

Another job of Flame Hazes is to replace the dead people/erased people with "Torches," replicas of the consumed who think and feel the same as the dead, but who slowly die off and disappear themselves. The Torches are a stop-gap measure to prevent the complete chaos that would inflict itself on reality if people were to abruptly never have existed. Our hero, Yuji, is a torch with special powers. He acts as a vault for treasures that the Crimson Lords want. Every now and then, these treasures travel from one torch to another, and he's the lucky (Or unlucky) one to have a treasure inside him. (Among other things...heheh...)

Lords and Flame Hazes can also close off reality temporarily in a bubble, to prevent the damage from their battles affecting the rest of the world (Think of Haruhi's gray universe).

But Yuji discovers one day that he's not the real Yuji, but the Torch or replacement for the dead one, rather abruptly, after he's already been killed at some indeterminate point. This wakeup is thanks to our heroine, Shana, a Flame Haze who, at first, has NO patience for his distress at being told "You're already dead" and "You're just the leftover scum of the real Yuji" or time to explain it to him. She pretty much initially considers him an object, but they make a good team later on...especially since, as he's a repository for treasures, the bad guys come after him.

This is mostly all covered in the first episode, BTW. :D

There are two seasons so far; the original character designs were from the same person who designed those for Haruhi, so there's some similarity.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Season 1 is dubbed in English already? If so, that seriously sounds awesome... Just not the kind of thing I wanna watch in English sub.

If it's not, then I'm gonna wait for it to be in English dub. (I'll probably wait anyways, given my having only about 20 gigs left on my HDD. ;x: I need more blank DVDs... =__= )

Also, that concept reminds me a lot of this this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_clxHxqNI&fmt=18
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Fri May 22, 2009 9:39 pm

I have to say it's cool to see someone demanding dubs; I'm such a fan of subs that I barely ever watch dubs anymore, or even remember that they do them. (And sometimes, they don't, if it's an obscure new release.) Guess it comes from having watched subbed anime for the most part over the last 9 years or so...it's become my preferred mode of viewing.

I was never a "subs are better" snob, though.

The whole "Sub vs. dub" debate in anime fandom was just dumb. It's like, "Why doesn't each person just watch what he/she prefers/is easier for them? They make two versions for that reason...)"
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 pm

I usually like the Subs better, because I like to hear the original voices, BUT There are a lot of dubs I like too, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star (Just finished watching the Sub and while quite similar I like the way Aisha is played in english more. Not to mention Ronald MacDougall's voice sounding like James Woods! ) But then I'm also using subs as a focusing exorcise in the mornings. YAY ADD!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Nemesis Scourge » Sat May 23, 2009 7:40 am

I prefer to watch things subbed whenever I can, but I won't say no to the odd dub here and there. Like the dubs for Death Note and Code Geass for example.
Image Image
Nemesis Scourge
Master of Shadows

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:06 am

Acey hates Code Geass. :P

And, for me, the dubs are an easier thing. Given my OCD while reading (I will rewind a dozen times if my attention was off, or if it really was that fast, and pausing it makes the subs disappear - I HATE soft subs. :mad: ), fact I like to do other things while watching (like kitbashing) so I need more attention than reading can afford me, and the new reason of my low HDD space (meaning I need excuses to not download as much as I do, and I still refuse to watch my stuff streaming online. ;x: )... Dubs are just better for me.

Besides, I do tend to prefer it... It's more comfortable for me. Though I would like to get my mind into learning Japanese sooner than later, that way I can just download raw eps with no worry. :]

... And then I can learn German and hybrid the 2 languages, leaving English behind, and confusing the Hell outta people. :glanceright: :laughing:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Sat May 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Ah, oui!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

PreviousNext

Return to The Theater