Entertainment News

Post about your favorite movies and shows here!

Postby Skids » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:51 am

It's the Enterprise! http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/11 ... Enterprise
Nice, very nice; looks pretty familiar to the movie versions (Like Abrams, my favorites); those new nacelles are cool. They needed something a little more realistic and dynamic than dual hot dogs for a modern-day film. ^ ^
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Time Lord » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:59 am

Wow, they actually managed to make those guys to LOOK like the crew (Especially Spock & McCoy. I knew that Quinto would look the part but I was scratching my head about Urban. I've been proved wrong) Uhura needs BIG hair though, not that ponytail thing going on.

Hope they part the parts as well as they look. :smile:
Timey's YouTube page!

Timey's thought of the Day: Transypoo fixed my sig? And put words in my mouth? Scandalous!
Time Lord
Master of the Hunters

Postby Skids » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:21 am

I was happy to read that Nimoy was involved with the project, in terms of working with the new Spock.

I'm down with a reboot every now and then, if it's well-done, as this seems to bode to be, particularly when a universe like Trek's is as convoluted as it's (naturally) become after all these years.* Brings in the new fans and makes it easier for someone who hasn't followed anything consistently since TNG to get into it. :smile:

*On the other hand, convolution can make some universes like the X-Men's world awesome to me. Of course, granted, X-Men has never had a retcon or plot twist that maddened me, whereas pretty much every time they would do that in Spider-Man, it would tick me off. The X-Men's lifes are SUPPOSED to be fraught with amorality and tension and trauma...Spider-Man has his share of bad luck, it's a big part of his character that he can't win, but his general outlook on things and the problems he faced always seemed more light-hearted and straightforward as a general trend, so mucking about with "Oh, this is what REALLY secretly happened" doesn't work there, whereas I love how at this point Xavier probably needs to buy a whole 'nother mansion to store all his skeletons.
Skids

Postby Skids » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:35 am

Movie star and producer Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, The Assassination of Richard Nixon, The Aviator) told MTV's Splash Page that his Appian Way production company is waiting for the final script draft for the live-action film version of Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga. He added, "I'm a big fan of Japanese anime — that and another project called Ninja Scroll we're trying to get developed and made into a movie, and I know there a lot of loyal fans out there of the project and die-hard fans, so we're going to try to do the best job we possibly can and we're not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape." He also emphasized that he is producing in these two projects, and that he does "not really" have any interest in acting in them.

The Variety entertainment news source reported in February that Warner Brothers and Appian Way had re-licensed the rights to remake Akira from the manga publisher Kodansha. The two companies originally planned to make two films, each of which would cover three volumes of the renowned science-fiction manga about a governmental genetic project and a teenager's attempt to save a fellow biker gang member. Otomo himself directed a popular 1988 anime film based on his own manga. Variety also reported last month that Warner Brothers and Appian Way had licensed the rights to adapt Yoshiaki Kawajiri's Ninja Scroll action anime film from the Madhouse anime studio.

Nice, he has just the right attitude, here, I think. Neither of those is a property that couldn't be adapted fairly nicely into a live-action format. Looking forward to this and seeing what Spielberg does with Ghost in the Shell (Which he was an avowed fan of).
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:29 am

Mmm... Sounding good to me, definitely. :3
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Maybe for once they'll actually cast, y'know, some Asian people in an adaptation of an anime or manga set in Japan! (Glares at white kid DB movie Goku)
Okay, the Saiyans are technically aliens, but they always felt like an analog to the Mongols or other Central-Asian raiders to me.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:32 am

No matter what way you said all that, Nate, you still came out a racist. :laughing:

Btw: Ever seen Casshern? It was made a live action film first (though the intention seems to be first anime, second nothing or again anime, and third live action film) and had an anime spin-off from it.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 am

Nah, not racism, just source-accuracy. (Specifically, in terms of wanting to have characters who were originally Japanese be played by people of Japanese ancestry. I think it comes from my irritation with that old "audiences won't be able to relate to a non-white lead!" prejudice.(Remember how they used to change all the names in old dubbed anime to white peoples'? "Kids can't handle these Japanese names!")

I guess someone could call me an anti-white racist for that...but I am white, I don't think they could make it stick. ^ ^
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:56 pm

"Double reverse racism."
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm white and I have often stated blatantly racist terms against the race. O_o:;
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:40 am

Transypoo wrote:"Double reverse racism."

I double-dog dare you to be a double reverse racist!

(I liked this one comic where a street punk told the Punisher "I don't know nothin'!" and he responded that, yes, that implied that he did know something...)
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:52 am

Skiddums wrote:(I liked this one comic where a street punk told the Punisher "I don't know nothin'!" and he responded that, yes, that implied that he did know something...)

... And what was that? O_o:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:41 am

...I can't really remember. It was in a Spider-Man comic...that moment just stuck in my mind as funny.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:34 am

Heh. *shrugs*
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:36 am

I AM TANGENTOR, MASTER OF TANGENTS!!!
Skids

PreviousNext