Suggest me!

Post about your favorite movies and shows here!

Postby Skids » Sun May 17, 2009 6:35 pm

GL has a pretty bittersweet ending...

Anyway, "Rebuild of Evangelion" is the series of almost wholly re-animated movies coming out in Japan that retell the Evangelion series. The first one came out in...08, I believe, and had redone combat scenes with the angels now being cell-shaded creations, and so on. Really beautiful stuff. I think some of the original animation was in there, too, but had too much new or just improved content to be a "clip movie" type deal.

Storywise, it stayed pretty close to the TV series, covering events through the defeat of that blue diamond-shaped Angel that attempted to drill into NERV headquarters. The storytelling and plot progression, however, was more straightforward. (i.e. they're more upfront on the fact that Gendou is attempting to move Shinji and Rei closer together to elicit some reaction, Shinji is shown Lilith by Misato, and she tells him what it is.)

The story as of Movie 2 will be taking a new direction, with Eva 04, 05, 06 appearing, and new pilots featuring in the story, but will also continue the original storyline by introducing Asuka. I don't think Movie 2 is out yet...could be wrong.

So it's like an alt universe. There are at least three movies they'll be doing, I think.
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Are they live action, though? I remember something about there was going to be a live action NGE film... No idea if that's what this is or not, though.

Regardless, I don't know if I'll watch anything more of NGE or not. There's so much personal issues and such I have related with that series... All I could do is start watching one and see if I get the same effect/resurgence of long since dealt with memories, issues, etc.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Mon May 18, 2009 8:53 am

Nope, animated, just like the original, only with 2007-quality animation instead of 1997...and without that pesky budget issue that held Gainax back the first time.
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 am

Hmm... What did the budget issue prevent them from doing?
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 am

For one thing, the main reason that the last episode took place entirely in Shinji's head was because they ran out of money before they could show the Third Impact as a bunch of awesome fight scenes and general trippy "People turning into orange Kool-Aid" stuff.

End of Evangelion is supposed to be the last episodes of the series as originally intended (They are even numbered as such, if you look at the black and white chapter heading screens they flash between commercials.)

I figure the two are reconcilable, with the introspective TV last episode taking place inside Shinji's mind, at some points during the course of the real-world events that unfold in EoE. (So I don't have to choose which I like better. :smile: ) Although I'll say that I like the irony of one ending being positive (TV series) and the other being "Everyone dies".
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:19 pm

I actually like to look at it as the end of the TV series was entirely inside Shinji's mind... He came to terms with several things, dealt with several issues... But then, as with any human, issues still remained and he started imagining everyone praising him. But he's still got to answer to reality, and that's where EoE starts... This is not an actual link. :smile: (insert a crack over that emoticon, like it's falling apart)

So, yeah. I like to take the end of the TV series as something imaginary, and then EoE is what actually happens/happened. I just wish that Asuka's final line (in EoE) had been done as it was originally intended... In Japanese, I mean. (The person who did the English dub had gone with the way it was supposed to be, or so I read.) Because then people wouldn't bi*** about the English version being "wrong," when the only reason the Japanese version is how it is is because they couldn't get the voice actor to do it right. ;x:

And, yeah, I knew something was up about the TV series having a rushed ending as they even put right in the beginning of the episode something to do with having run out of time.

And not everyone is dead... 2 survived. So we have our Adam and Eve at the end - as Shinji and Asuka. :smile: (Boy, that's gotta be one f***ed up world. ;x: )
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby ShadeC4 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 pm

My list updated:

List is now here.
Last edited by ShadeC4 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 am

Alright Shade, I got one fore you Sita Sings the Blues It's frakkin' awesome!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:45 pm

Hmm... *watches*

Well, downloading right now, but, yeah.

EDIT:
Transypoo wrote:Alright Shade, I got one fore you Sita Sings the Blues It's frakkin' awesome!

Saw it! Loved it... It... Was awesome~ <3 I especially love how the narration is just a few people sitting around basically chatting about the tale. ^^ That was hilarious. :laughing: Actually, the whole thing had *tons* of hilarious moments... And it still managed to tell a sad, yet, in the end, uplifting story without ruining it. :3
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Yeah! Plus the style and music are awesome. I love the narrators. Apparently those parts were unscripted.

It's genius!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:54 am

Yeah, I love how the animation style is a combo of styles that are similar, yet still noticeably different. And I enjoyed how the music was part of the lyrics. And I thought that maybe the narration was unscripted... But I didn't wanna get my hopes up. Would be awesome if it actually wasn't... Cause that would just make it all the more bloody awesome.
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Still, it's incredibly rare for there to be unscripted animation...
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:21 pm

I never said anything to the contrary. :p I just said that it would be awesome if it was unscripted. From how you worded your post about it, it sounds like you don't know if it's true or not. Thus I'm maintaining my stand point of it being a possibility.

Anyways, I never knew it was rare, but, now that I think about it, that makes sense. Cause usually they match voices to mouth flaps, or make the mouth movements match the already made script. But, if it's unscripted... They kind of have to match the animation to the voices. Rather backwards, that way... But that also all just falls under "it would make it more awesome if it is" thing. So I still don't get the point of your post. O_o:?
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Thu May 21, 2009 12:42 pm

When have my posts ever had a point to them?

Well, usually they have the voice actors read from a script, and from time to time someone will ad-lib* something (Tom Kenny apparently Ad-libbed all of Scarcream's dialogue.) The show Home Movies was unscripted for the first five episodes but it was taking too long to come up with a plot IN the booth. (Also costly) So they started scripting, but ad-libbed heavily. Then after the animation's done they'll ad the grunts and little things.

Its in "acquired animation" that they match the mouth movements... or in dubbing/looping in general.

So usually they match the mouths to the voices when you're making your own animation.

But in a situation like the Transformers movie, (It's somewhat related) They film the humans, then ad the robots in a rough state then voice actors come in and we top off with final animation/lip sync.

*This being that they changed the words but basically say the same thing.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:38 pm

I swear, I will feed you cake one of these days... :mad:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

PreviousNext

Return to The Theater