Transformers Animated: Animated is NOT DEAD!

Post about your favorite movies and shows here!

Transformers Animated: Animated is NOT DEAD!

Postby Skids » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:57 am

http://seibertron.com/energonpub/viewto ... 23&t=33852
New model sheets! Yep, I continue to ADORE this aesthetic. So sleek and yet angular. It does the same thing for Transformers that Sigma Six did for Joes. And as far as I'm concerned, [Martha] It's a good thing [/Martha][/b]
Last edited by Skids on Sat May 30, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Skids » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:27 am

Here's a super high quality version of the recent Animated clip from episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8sq80Xm ... re=related
Skids

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:40 am

... Gawd, I hope I get to watch that before torrent sites are shut down for good. x.x

Oh, and... Btw... CN's videos hate Canada. >>; Actually, they hate anywhere that is not the US. x; I can go to the site... But I can't watch the videos cause of blah. -_-

So, anything from CN's site you'll have to find an alternate way for both Mac and non-US viewers to watch it. =) Fun. -.-'
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Transypoo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:30 pm

YEAH! :mad:

By the way, that Youtube one is awesome I CAN'T WAIT! :happy4:
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Transypoo wrote:By the way, that Youtube one is awesome I CAN'T WAIT! :happy4:

Yeh, same. :3
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:09 pm

Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:48 pm

HA HA That's awesome!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:16 pm

Yay, review time! Just watched Animated on Youtube ('Tis broken into nine parts based on the commercial breaks) listening to the sound over Sony dynamic stereo headphones (Sound studio quality gear!)

Loved it, of course. What I particularly like is how effectively the writers balanced the serious and comedic elements of the storyline and characters. Just when things might, in some other shows, become too light-hearted, Ratchet would say something ominous or Prime would doubt himself, nicely undercutting the "feel good" moments. (For instance, "The Decepticons...didn't leave us much to cheer about..." That line just wonderfully balanced out the "Yay, heroes of the city!" vibe. Similarly, there was sufficient humor (REALLY like the snarkiness of the humor; damn, I've missed that since Beast Wars/Machines...!), almost all of it based on clever dialogue rooted in the characters' personalities instead of, simply, slapstick (Not that I object to slapstick) that the series didn't become oppressively dark.

Ratchet was the standout character for me--he had a lot of the lines that injected a sense that there were real stakes at hand into the story, and the performance was excellent. Really, I liked all of the characters, though, including the humans. Sari shows a lot of spunk and energy, and was proactive (Hehheh...particularly liked her "Using tears to get what she wanted" moment, especially how the ominous music cuts out abruptly. ^ ^ It was also awesome how Prime didn't really pay attention to her plan at first, and then still, simply "considered" it.) Can't wait to find out more of her backstory. She's clearly...not your ordinary kid.

Another thing I particularly like is how credible (and murderous) a threat the Decepticons are. It's been awhile since I've heard that people will "perish" in a cartoon--you got the sense Starscream was pretty much shooting at humans to *kill* before they fled into the train car, and he utterly laid waste to Detroit. He had zero concern for collateral damage. (His "I kept my end of the bargain" thing when the train was plunging to its doom was awesome.)

It was also pleasant (For this viewer) how the heroes really got their tails handed to them when fighting the 'Cons, and genuinely had to work together to *survive*, not just because it was the "feel good" thing to do. The Autobots were realistically vulnerable, too; Starscream REALLY smacked them around in that battle. When Prowl fell from the sky, it took a LONG time for him to pick himself up out of that crater, and heck, Prime falling from an impossible height KILLED him. His dying words were neat, too; "So this is what it's like to be a hero". Totally not a "Do not grieve" moment, but a lot more realistic and even a bit cynical reaction. That's one thing I liked in general; how they kept emphasizing that heroes have a better chance of ending up on the scrap heap, because realistically, they're on the front line taking the risks.

Let's see...other thoughts...hmmm...voices...
...In my case, I COULD hear a bit of "The Tick" in Sentinel Prime's voice; coupled with the design, it really made me chuckle. And Magnus...man, it's an unsolved mystery how they got him to sound so much like Stack. Awesome. REALLY liked Blackarachnia's voice; it felt true enough to Terzo's performance in Beast Wars/Machines for me. (The only other non-anime cartoon I've watched recently is Ben 10, so that voice actress is isn't really overexposed for me.) I think Kenny's Starscream was my favorite performance, although Megatron and Ratchet are close behind. Starscream just had such subtlety to his voice...for instance, how he obviously was repressing his glee, and doing a POOR job of it, when eulogizing Megatron. I particularly like how he gets all faux sappy at the end of the speech (When he says "Forever," I think. And he could really go from funny to unhinged to downright pissed off and scary depending on the situation. "You haven't SEEN hostile!!!" Ratchet's voice was just as strong, really--good range, really captures the grizzled vet. I liked how he could show sparks of youthfulness or kindness even though he was crabby a lot of the time. Megatron? Ooh, ice-cold, totally, insurmountably in control. I get the impression that he was so confident in himself that he probably wouldn't have really CARED if Starscream planted a bomb on him, he was so confident in his power. That took out his arm, but he was still able to mop the floor with the Autobots after that. Only being dropped from orbit took him out of the picture, despite Starscream's having taken sole credit for his defeat in order to demoralize the bots.

Lugnut kinda reminded me of a combination of Scorponok and Inferno. Big, clawed, deep voiced guy, not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, but also fanatically loyal.

I have to say, maybe it was because I was listening to dynamic stereo headphones when watching it and picked up on it easier, but I thought the score really served its purpose and was overall excellent.

Oh, and it retained just enough of the GOOD elements of G1, without the goofiness. For instance, those little touches I love like Ratchet's "You all right Prime?" "I'll live...", and the transformation sound. G1 visuals like Sky Spy (Teletran 1), the Ark-like and Nemesis-like designs of the ships...also welcome.
Skids

Postby Beastbot » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:06 am

My opinion:

Positives:
-The Decepticons' Power. MAN, they weren't hyping it up at all-- seeing Starscream take on all those Autobots and once and come VERY close to winning was just too awesome.
-The characterization, for the most part. Very well-done.
-The overall story so far.
-The Autobot bureaucracy.
-Bulkhead is NOT really dumb, just not particularly a genius. Nice to see them not fall back on the "big=STOO-PID" character archetype
-Prowl. 'Nuff said.
-Ratchet's general crankiness-- he's not just cranky 'cause he's old, his advice makes sense.

Negatives:
-Bumblebee's voice.
-*sigh* Sari, as I feared. She's still head-and-shoulders above humans in the previous series, but the only non-annoying humans Hasbro has managed to create in TF fiction so far are from the movie and IDW's TF comics. She's not too bad on her own about 50% of the time, but I just can't STAND her animation model, which probably increases her annoyance factor for me threefold. I can deal with this style, even though it's not my favorite aesthetic, for the most part, but Sari is just way too exaggerated and ugly.
-Blitzwing. He had the potential to be so COOL, and in his Colonel Clink and Schwarzenegger personalities he was, but when he switched to his "insane" face... seriously, there's cool insane, and then there's just "....What?" insane. Seriously, "Let me sing how I feel?" Bluh?
-I was disappointed by the animation (and I'm talking about the actual animation here, not the "style" which most people refer to as the "animation"). The animation was less than smooth, often mouth movements were Anime-esque in that they only had "open" and "closed" frames that cycled back and forth when appropriate, and often times the TFs were "off" a bit from their animation reference models. Plus the lines tended to be chunky a bit. Probably my biggest dissapointment with the series so far.
-The Allspark being used as a "catch all" to save TFs from extinction. Bringing back damaged TFs I can understand, but resurrecting them after they've already died? Then what the heck are the stakes, then? If an Autobot dies, just bring 'em back to life. Really dials down the urgency, there.

Overall, I give it a solid B so far. Definitely the best series since Beast Machines, and it has the potential to get much better, certainly. I'll enjoy watching it, to be sure. But, as much as I was hoping Aaron was right in his assertion that Sari wasn't annoying, that just didn't prove to be the case, and the bad animation irks me.
Last updated October 4th
Current Transformers Total: 4,365
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Skids » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:45 am

Having experience (From Ben 10) with these writers' ability to craft story arcs, I'm willing to bet there will probably be some unforeseen consequences to using the Allspark willy-nilly as a repair/resurrection tool. ^ ^
Skids

Postby Skids » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:50 pm

On the Allspark, some interesting parallels were brought up between "Sumdac" and its anagram, "Cadmus," as in the Greek legend of. Courtesy of Wikipedia, (Edited for relevancy):

They were slain by the spring's guardian water-dragon (compare the Lernaean Hydra), which was in turn destroyed by Cadmus, the duty of a culture hero of the new order.

By the instructions of Athena, he sowed the Dragon's teeth in the ground, from which there sprang a race of fierce armed men, called Spartes ("sown"). By throwing a stone among them, Cadmus caused them to fall upon one another until only five survived, who assisted him to build the Cadmeia or citadel of Thebes, and became the founders of the noblest families of that city.

The dragon had been sacred to Ares, so the god made Cadmus to do penance for eight years by serving him. At the expiration of this period, the gods gave him as wife Harmonia, daughter of Ares and Aphrodite, by whom he had a son Polydorus, and four daughters, Agave, Autonoë, Ino and Semele.

At the wedding, all the gods were present; Harmonia received as bridal gifts a peplos worked by Athena and a necklace made by Hephaestus. This necklace, commonly referred to as the Necklace of Harmonia, brought misfortune to all who possessed it. Notwithstanding the divinely ordained nature of his marriage and his kingdom, Cadmus lived to regret both: his family was overtaken by grievous misfortunes, and his city by civil unrest. Cadmus finally abdicated in favor of his grandson Pentheus, and retired with Harmonia to Illyria, whose inhabitants proclaimed him their king.
Cadmus Sowing the Dragon's teeth, by Maxfield Parrish, 1908
Cadmus Sowing the Dragon's teeth, by Maxfield Parrish, 1908

Nevertheless, Cadmus was deeply troubled by the ill-fortune which clung to him as a result of his having killed the sacred dragon, and one day he remarked that if the gods were so enamoured of the life of a serpent, he might as well wish that life for himself. Immediately he began to grow scales and change in form. Harmonia, seeing the transformation, thereupon begged the gods to share her husband's fate, and she did (Hyginus).

A few interesting overlaps, to say the least, if you think of the "dragon" as Megatron, and the offspring of the dragon's teeth as Sumdac's robots. There's also the necklace (Obvious connection). Just struck me as cool.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:55 pm

I finally had a block of time to watch Animated and it turns out my VCR has two modes "TV" and "Cable" and it was on TV mode! So I recorded STATIC!

RAWR!!!!! :madest: :madest: :madest: :madest:

*Kills Goombas*
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:11 pm

Transypoo wrote:I finally had a block of time to watch Animated and it turns out my VCR has two modes "TV" and "Cable" and it was on TV mode! So I recorded STATIC!

RAWR!!!!! :madest: :madest: :madest: :madest:

*Kills Goombas*

*downloads it illegally* :smilekitty:
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Watch the Youtube edition, Poo! Look it up under "Transformers Animated, Transform and Roll Out".
Skids

Postby Skids » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Skids

Next

Return to The Theater