The Transformers Toy Topic (New 5/23)

Is it toy related? Then post it here!

Postby Skids » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:01 am

Sky Lynx to be reissued? PDF Print E-mail
Written by MrBlud
Saturday, 18 August 2007

Reissue Sky Lynx?Is the greatest soldier the Autobot cause has ever known (to hear him tell it) the next reissue from Takara/Tomy? A picture from a Japanese convention would certainly lend credence to that notion.

Clearly the obvious choice for a reissue. I mean, who else? Anyhoo, my goal is to have all of the G1 cartoon characters 1984-87, complete (And I'm doing really well at meeting it so far, and having a lot of fun!) so more reissues...? It's a good thing.
Skids
You are my friend, aren't you?

Postby Transypoo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:09 pm

As long as they're not $30 for what would conitered today, a basic.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:27 pm

I thought those were fair prices. I mean, taking into account that the original versions of those toys go for 70 dollars and up (And I tend to pay between 40 and 70 dollars for the G1 figures I need to fill in my "Every cartoon character" collection. S'why I get maybe 2-3 new figures for the group per every five months.)

Price-wise, there's a lot more to take into account than just the size of the figure when reissuing an older toy. It might not seem fair, since it's harder for everyone to afford them, but that's just the way it is, and it's not as if they aren't targeting a niche market (Older fans) who're usually willing to pay those prices, anyway, too. Sure, some random kid might want a G1 reissue, but he's not part of the target audience, so we can't really be too sad that he can't afford it. There are, to be honest, more appropriate toys for kids out there.

They COULD have been a bit less expensive, but TRU was the only retailer supporting the line, and I've read that they drove the price up.

Takara reissues sell like hotcakes with the online fans, and they're priced about the same as Hasbro's, plus shipping.

The reissues didn't do so hot here, but if anything, I think it was because Hasbro either overproduced the reissues, overestimating the number of people who'd want them, when they should have kept them to limited numbers closer to those of the Titaniums or Alts, or erroneously focused on characters who were unpopular with a lot of the fans (I mean, Grapple? I love Grapple and bought the reissue, but I love most of the G1 toys, unlike a lot of modern fans.) Look how fast the popular characters like Prime, Jazz, Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, Soundwave or the Seekers sold compared to someone like, say, Red Alert, Grapple or Hoist, much less Skids, who are comparative nobodies. Those were the guys who ended up on skid row clearance.

I'd rather reissues exist and fewer people be able to afford them than for them not to exist at all. For what it's worth, I have almost all of the Hasbro reissues, and some of the Takara ones, and I paid around 20 bucks for most of my Has-reissues.
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:16 pm

Well, yeah, I snapped them up when they went on sale too, heck I bought powermaster Prime for full price, but I felt like I was getting five toys there, and I just ordered the Jap Soundwave acouple of days ago... So, I know.

When they first came out, I was gunna BUY Bluestreak, even though I know very little about him, jus' 'cause I thougt he looked cool. but then 29.99 poped up on the screen. Now, had he been 20.00 or 20.99 or 19.99 I would have gladly slaped down the dough, thinking only "That's a little pricy, but oh well."
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:08 am

Yeah, I think Bluestreak was the only one I actually paid 30 bucks for. I scored most of them for around 20 on TRU.com, or cheaper when they were on clearance or I had coupons. Twenty was "Eh, it's expensive but I understand WHY".

I just HAD to have that Bluestreak, though, since the one I had in my childhood was all dull and beaten up. I never even KNEW he was supposed to have chrome. ^ ^

Oh, and I paid 40 for Kup/Wheelie and Blaster/Steeljaw, but those are two-packs and Blaster is a HUGE figure by G1 standards.

I will eternally LOVE the fact that I paid 20 dollars plus shipping for my God Ginrai, though. Take that, Hasbro and your 50 dollar PMOP with Apex Armor! ^ ^ And I will eternally kick myself for not getting that Fire Guts version of the toy when THAT was on clearance because nobody seemed to want crazy orange Powermaster Prime. Now they go for like 150!
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:17 am

Poor Fire Guts Prime, probably shouldn't have had the chily. It was too much for him.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby ShadeC4 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:17 am

"CHOKOOOOOOOONNNNN POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

X) God Ginrai > Apex Prime. ;P
ImageImage
ShadeC4
I live my life as I feel

Postby Skids » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:08 pm

Apparently, Payload is afflicted with all sorts of quality control problems, so I think I'll be skipping him. I'd rather get Recon Barricade (Hey, one of the few plausible movie redecoes! Considering how Sam was able to instantly recognize Barricade after their first encounter, yeah, I'd imagine that it might be a good idea for him to take on a different appearance.). That is, if...I...can...find...ANY new Movie figures #@&*%#@
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:36 pm

CURSES! HE'S SO COOOL!!! RAWRG!!!
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 am

Well, considering I have many of the Titaniums out now (Just got The Fallen at Target yesterday...like most Titaniums, very nifty robot mode, somewhat weak alt mode...but eh, I display and play with the robot modes more anyhow, so once in awhile, doesn't hurt to get a bot like that.)...here's hoping Big Grim is actually available SOMEWHERE I can buy him:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=148460
Skids

Postby Transypoo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Oh, yes, he's neat.
Transypoo
It's fine. It's fine!

Postby Skids » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:18 pm

TakaraTomy today announced Encore Series Ironhide and Ratchet, as well as Music Label (MP3) Soundblaster, all due at the end of this year/beginning of next year.

So totally preordered! Ironhide, Ratchet and Mirage are the last three 1984/85 cars I need to have all of them complete. (Well, I need a missile for Wheeljack's launcher, but that's low priority! ^ ^) And I've always liked the figures, to boot; they'd be ridiculous if they were sold as part of a modern line, but as products of another time, they're quirky in a pleasant way, like a lot of the vintage G1 stuff is. ^ ^

Soundblaster, too! So glad I couldn't afford ML Soundwave until recently; black is infinitely slicker. Besides, I consider Soundblaster his "definitive" or "final" form from the original series, so I'd rather add him into a series that's essentially a continuation of G1 (Classics) than the blue edition. Plus, hey, my iPod (Also named Soundwave) is black and silver. XD
Skids

Postby Skids » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Skids

Postby Beastbot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 pm

I am SO getting that metallic finish Megatron, even though I have FAB, Legends, Voyager, and Leader Megatron already.

That Ratchet is too similar for me to bother, though.
Last updated October 4th
Current Transformers Total: 4,368
Beastbot
Slimy yet Satisfying

Postby Skids » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:17 am

Man, I normally dislike the Star Wars Transformers (Except for Darth Star! He will be mine!!!) but the Turbo Tank looks really neat, on par with regular TFs:
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... cture=aux1
Skids

PreviousNext

Return to The Toy Shop